zf transaxle question

hey guy, i have a question that i hope you can answer. i know it may be the :wrongforum:,but you guys are probaly like me and general car guys. im building a replica diablo and im using a 331 small block ford with forced induction. will a zf mount up without an adapter plate. if so will it be as strong as my g50. if anyone has a zf in good cond that may be interested in a trade for my g50 contact me a AOL.com - Welcome to AOL.
motor2006.jpg

IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/johnlahey/body023.jpg[/IMG]

You have to use the inverted bellhousing from Kennedy Engineering along with a 157-tooth flywheel, small starter and 10.5" Mustang clutch

The transaxles strength is dependant on its options and model number. There is a difference in gearbox internals from the 5-6 spd units, and NA. versus the turbo Porsche units. The ZF also differs as it continues back in vintage, although I am not an expert on the ZF yet.

Contact me with your G50's gearbox ID # and I will be able to tell you what it should have been originally equipped with internally.

Thanks.

thank ryan,and bill. where can i find the id numbers on my transaxle.in you opinion what is the best setup to go with for strengh as you can see my worries with the engine i will be adapting it too.
IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b142/johnlahey/body023.jpg[/IMG]

Your welcome sir,

The gearbox id number is typically found in the middle of the gearbox on the midsection or bellhousing section at the bottom of the gearbox installed rear-engine, or if inverted for mid-engine it would now be on top. See the picture for referance, it is a shot of a G50-52 heading out for delivery. Notice where Stan's finger is pointing. Your id # should be in the same location, and should start with a G50 and followed by a type and id #.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 738
You have to use the inverted bellhousing from Kennedy Engineering along with a 157-tooth flywheel, small starter and 10.5" Mustang clutch

Uh...I'm fairly certain that the 289/302 has the same bolt pattern as the 351C and the 4.6 Modular motor. That means that if you buy a Pantera gearbox and bellhousing it will bolt straight up with NO modifications required.

The above-mentioned kit would only be necessary if you were planning on inverting the gearbox for use in a GT40 configuration--and that would likely necessitate modifying the gearbox internally as well.

Nope,

That is a casting number, some times the id#'s are hard to read because of their location on the bottom of the gearbox. They get a lot of grime and road debris due to their location and sometimes can be partially worn from scraping.

Double check that you are looking at the same part of the gearbox that is in my reference picture.

In reference to the ZF search, try Pantera Performance out of Castle Rock CO. They deal in strictly Pantera's and sometimes may have good cores. Obviosuly the new supply is well, rough to say the least. RBT>?

Anyways, we have not yet offered ZF servicing so I will not be able to help you out right now. Too busy getting our operations and inventory together for the Porsche and Getrag units. SEMA's coming up too, so I'm getting ready for that at the end of the month.

Take care gents,

Wow,

I have not been on the forum in sometime, should have re-checked this thread when I got not reply.

The early G50 units can have 9's as the first number in the id, and if that is the case your box is and NA G50.

Not strong enough for that motor, if you plan on using ALL of that motor.

Back