All wheel 016

To All,

I just looked thru the files and could not find much on using a all wheel 016 transaxle in a mid engine set up. What is the groups opinion???

Thanks
Joz

Howard Jones

Supporter
The conversion isn't worth the effort. The FWD Audi's are fairly easy to come by and inexpensive. The cost to convert a 4WD version would be many times the cost of a 2WD equivalent. Better to spend the money on a rebuild of a 2WD or if I had a 4WD version I would attempt to trade it for a 2WD version and then rebuild it.

Hi Howard and Joz, Maybe i have missed something, i have two of the 016 4wd boxes in my garage and the awd box is exactly 180mm longer than the 2wd, i have not been able to figure out how the rear section comes off, does anyone know.It is not like the 2wd with a large nut behind the rubber bung.
It would appear from looking at an exploded view that it is possiable to lock the centre diff with the mechanizm at the rear and so send all the drive up the hollow shaft to the pinion shaft.The rear flange will still turn in sync with the driving shafts.

Regards
Lambo

I acquired a 4wd 016 trans real cheap and since the dimensions are the same as the 2wd 016 until you get back to the rear output part I used it when mocking up my eng and trans mounts. I got a 2wd unit later and just swapped out the 4wd unit.
Wayne

Lambo,

I have not done any research on the Audi AWL box, what I know about that one and the FWD boxes is what I have read here. I plan on using a FWD box, if I can find the right one and if any are out there maybe a 6 speed FWD box. Several members have stated that the 6 speed is somewhat stronger then the 5 speed. My search for a A4 6 speed so far has been "0" results.

Does anyone know if the Porsche 944 Turbo LSD will fit in the Audi 6 speed?

Joz

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
It would appear from looking at an exploded view that it is possiable to lock the centre diff with the mechanizm at the rear and so send all the drive up the hollow shaft to the pinion shaft.The rear flange will still turn in sync with the driving shafts.

Lambo, this sounds correct, but you would need to check that the components are the same strength/size as in the FWD box. The reason I say that is that a FWD box transmits all the torque to 1 axle, so in theory has to be stronger than an AWD which shares the torque between two. I don't know whether that is so in this case, can anyone enlighten us on this?

Dave

Back