ZF Shifting

I'm currently running an RBT transaxle and am satisfied but not impressed with it. Until more testing is done on the ZQF,it will remain installed but not for long. I know it will eventually come out in place of the new Quaife or Mendeola box.

P.S. Does anybody know where I can get a set of the rear view mirrors installed on that 40 and what they are called.

Thanks
Rich.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Re: testing the ZFQ gear box

Rich E

What is your complaint ("satisfied but, not impressed") re the ZF?

Steve P2125

Steve C,

A couple of things I've noticed:

1) The gear changes don't feel as positive as I'd like.
2) Finding 1st and reverse could be easier.
3) The movement from 3rd to 4th doesn't feel as natural as it should.
4) I wish it would hold more fluid.

I guess I've just just gotten used to modern transmissions.

My .02
Rich.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter

Rich,

I have SPF P2125 LH drive Center rod shift (custom install by Olthoff) with same shift mechanism as SPF uses on RH rod factory installs but adds 2 across the car connecting rods to marry to the RH sill rod (some pics in my posts in Superformance Forum). Install uses the gearshift and plate as original cars.

I have been told to always shift to 2'nd with clutch in before any 1'st or reverse shifting as it best alignes the gearing selectors. I use this preceedure with my Tremec transmissioned car and never had lock up problems others have or difficulty in 1's or reverse engagement and it seems to work for the ZF as well.

Well to your comments: I did find it difficult to "find 1'st at first but, as I drove the car more I seemed to know where to go....reverse OK as well as 3'rd to 4'th and engagement in gears not much different than the Tremec...As to fluid capacity; do you have any reason to think it's not sufficient?

Don't know when your car was built or by who but, 2 possible options to consider: 1) If you have an early car I know that Olthoff has developed an "impproved" cable shift set-up (your issues might relate to older cable shifter?)...2) I think you can retro easily to rod shift if your car is RH drive as I understand all the cars have the necessary firewall cut-out for the rod to engine bay.

Steve P2125 LH with rod shift to ZF

Hi guys

I can attest to the improved cable shift that Dennis Olthoff has developed. It worked very positively with the ZFQ.

regards

Chris.

Steve C,

Is your rod shift set-up similar to what was used on the Pantera? The '72 I had back in '79 reacted the same as far as going to 2nd, then first, with no engagement problems. I do remember the 1st to 2nd gear shifts needed to be timed just right and on the slow side in order for it to feel right as you slid it into 2nd gear.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter

Gary,

I don't know what was used in Panteras but, have attached below a few pics of LH center rod shift as developed and installed by Olthoff.

Attachments

• 100_0151 (Small).JPG
    100_0151 (Small).JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 775
  • 100_0124 (Small).JPG
    100_0124 (Small).JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 834
  • 100_0126 (Small).JPG
    100_0126 (Small).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 825
  • 100_0136 (Small).JPG
    100_0136 (Small).JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 853
  • DSCN30130034 (Small).jpg
    DSCN30130034 (Small).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 747

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter

Chris M,

Sorry...I seem to have hijacked your thread in response to Rich E's comments on the ZF and then you responded re Dennis' inproved cable shifter for the SPF and then Gary re ZF shifting and me again re Olthoff's LH rod shift....Guess tail of this thread should go into the Superformance Forum BUT, I don't know how to.

Will someone help move this so this thread can speak to the ZFQ as was intended?

Tx, Steve

Sorry for the thread drift. Lets keep this as is, and I will fade out stage left.

PS: Thanks Steve for the pics.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

Steve C,

A couple of things I've noticed:

1) The gear changes don't feel as positive as I'd like.
2) Finding 1st and reverse could be easier.
3) The movement from 3rd to 4th doesn't feel as natural as it should.
4) I wish it would hold more fluid.

I guess I've just just gotten used to modern transmissions.

My .02
Rich.

I run an RBT in my race car and after upgrading the gearshift 3 to 4 times to cure the symptoms you have described in 1,2,3 above I have no doubt your problems are not gearbox related. As to #4, I wish my box would hold less due to the very expensive oil I use. Be a pretty expensive exercise too, to replace the box only to find it made no difference and your diagnosis had been in error.

Ross

I'll talk to Olthoff about the shifting mechanism. It would be nice to solve alot of the issues I have about the tranny by switching over to rod shift.

P.S. Not so sure I'd loose money on the transaxle.......If I was to sell it I'm sure someone would love to not have to wait a year to get the car running. Just an idea though.

Rich.

Hi Rich

try Olthoff's mod on your cable shifter, it is just a more positive set of levers mounted on the tranny, a simple bolt on.

Regards

Chris.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Rich E,

I agree with Chris' post above and the improved Olthoff cable shift was what I was suggesting in my earlier post.

Although I like and wanted the center rod shift it is a significantly more complicated retrofit and I'm sure more costly (if cost is an issue) so I would talk to Deennis about the "improved"cable if you want an easy retro/upgrade.

I agree with your comment re Chris' ZFQ but, after communication with Chris (and at his suggestion) wheras my car is complete I will wait and see if and when I need the "Q" and install then (THANKS again Chris for your advice)

Steve

MWGT40

Supporter
I don't have any issues at all with shifting in my ZF - it's as sweet as a nut, but I do use a rod shift mechanism with a copy of the original cars' gear shift mechanism, so maybe that's it.

I talk to many zf owners. It seems to be a inherited symptom of trouble that it is a little hard to shift into reverse. I was told to try this before going into reverse 1. stop the car fully.2. shift into first gear.3. than shift into reverse. I tried this and it goes into reverse like butter ever time. I was told that the it was a design flaw that is inherit with all Zf's. As for all the forward shifts, I'm very satisfied with the shift smoothness in my ZF. However, I have a solid link to the Zf. I think cable may be a culprit with shifting problems.

just my 2 cents

john

just my 2

Back