Custom R&P Set?

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Am looking for a custom ring & pinion set for a torsen diff in a conventional front engine, RWD, Japanese sport coupe.

Have contacted Richmond, Quaife, Albins, CMS, JawsGear, Precision without any luck. Everyone wants an order for a minimum of 100 sets.

Anyone know of a small, capable gear house that can make one-offs, using an existing R&P set as a go-by, for a not-so-astronomical price?

Thanks,

John

Ron Earp

Admin
You might be better off and far cheaper with alternative or custom gear sets for the transmission.

No, I don't know of a shop that can do low-volume R&Ps for reasonable money and everything I've heard or read mimics your experience.

Ron

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
You might be right Ron. Initially I thought somebody must make, or be willing to make an R&P set for this diff, but I'm not having much luck.

The tranny is a Getrag, so I may well have better luck swapping its internals with other Getrag applications.

That or just bump my tire diameters up by two more sizes and hope there's enough adjustment in the coilovers to compensate. Shoot, I might wind up with the first Supra that looks like a rock crawler.

It might even be far easier to just change the complete diff unit to one with the ratio you want, even if its from something non Japanese.
What sort of car is it you are wanting it for? There are several aftermarket suppliers of driveline parts for Japanese cars.

I got a quote from Richmond about a year ago for a R&P set for a different application and the min qty was 35 sets and after all the setup fees and manu fees thay ended up being about $500 per set. This put that project way out of being practical.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Jim, I'm looking for something in the 2.8-2.9 range. HP will be no more than 600-650.

Presently it's a 3.1333 ratio with a 220mm ring gear having 47 teeth and a 15 tooth pinion.

Back