what 5 speed to use in rear engine car? Audi 016 upside down ?

Hi

I was wondering if you can run an Audi 016 box upside down to reverse the direction ?

a Porsche 915 box is too expensive (and heavy)

what about a 928 box?

its going in a rear engine , 60s style road racer,
if it works I would like to make a few of them so an available cheap gearbox is needed

thanks for your ideas

Beaulieu

Last edited:
For a mid mounted, normal rotation engine you do not invert an 016 transaxle. You run it in the normal orientation. You normally only invert the Porshe boxes because they are designed for rear rather than mid engine.

I understand that,
this is needed for a rear engine project and thats why I was asking about reversing the Audi box

Beaulieu

With a rinky little motor like that invert a subaru WRX transmission with a locked center diff. Easy, cheap, and will hold a mild 250-300ftlbs of torque all day long. Easy to make an adapter plate as well(bolt pattern similar to G50 layout)

thanks for the ideas ,
it basically set-up like a VW or 911 , rear motor with a gearbox in front of it , and the gearbox can use CVs or U-joints

5 speed is needed, limited slip would be nice

Porsche 901 boxes have a hard to shift "shift pattern" with reverse and first to the left
Porsche 915 boxes are big and heavy
Both use very expensive parts and are 25 plus years old....

So its just trying to think out of the box a bit , find some "unloved" and cheap gearbox,

that was the idea of the upside down Audi box , but the Suburu box also sounds interesting....

Any more ideas ?

thanks Beaulieu

Had you thought about a renault un1 from a 21 turbo made so you can reverse the crownwheel, or get one from a renault alpine, the motor was behind the box in those and they came in turbo also.

Regards
Lambo

Had you thought about a renault un1 from a 21 turbo made so you can reverse the crownwheel, or get one from a renault alpine, the motor was behind the box in those and they came in turbo also.

How available are these ?
that looks interesting as they are made for small low HP 1700cc motors
the 915 Porsche box is made for high HP , autobahn speeds....

I found this website which is pretty interesting
Nathan's Torero (Lamborghini Diablo) replica: Gearbox page

how easy is it to reverse rotation ?

thanks for the idea Beaulieu

From what i have been told its very easy,but i have not done it, just split the box down the middle take out the crownwheel ,put it on the other side and check lash etc and your done the bell housing has 2 bumps in it one on the left and one on the right to accept the crownwheel as it protrudes behind the clutch the third picture on that site shows it quite clearly.

Regards
Lambo

Back