Questions concerning my build

So, I am researching engine/transaxle combinations over the last couple days. The subject itself is pretty new to me as it applies to my build plans.

The car I am planning on building is very loosely based on a GT40 kit body with some large cosmetic alterations. That aside, the engine/trans combo I am looking at right now is the small block chevrolet coupled to a Porsche 915 or 930 transaxle. (I believe that's correct)

Realistically I believe I will be in the 300-350 horsepower range and I am hoping to have the power be more in the mid to upper rpm range.

My questions are simple ones and probably common ones here.

Am I in the right ballpark on this combination?

Are there better/cheaper/more reliable options that can be coupled to the small block?

I've seen several posts noting Audi transaxles but admittedly I haven't delved to far into them as of yet. I would ideally like to have 5 or 6 gears but 4-speeds don't really hurt my feelings that much.

Again, I am just now starting to research the drivetrain possibilities so I apologize if my questions are hum-drum or overly asked on your forum. I am open to pretty much any mid-engine longitudinal combination in manual shift form so any suggestions are welcomed. I have no brand hang-ups or preferences. I only started with the Chevrolet because of it's common/reliable & functional status.

Cost is somewhat of an issue as I'm not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination. On the same token however I do realize that what I am undertaking is not going to be a cheap project. Just pointing that out so I don't get several exotic suggestions that are beyond my means.

Thanks,
Grant

the Porsche 930 transaxle is one of the strongest ones around - I have one in my gt40 which which was dynoed @450 HP. It's a 4 speed however!

John
:thumbsup:

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Grant,

For the horsepower you're talking about, an Audi would be far more than adequate. Rumor has it that the 016 is quite reliable to 400 horsepower, and is just fine with more power provided you're not abusive to your equipment... not to mention that an Audi can be had for just a fraction of what you'll pay for a 930.

First gear in the 016 is a little on the short side but with a ring 'n pinion swap you'd be set - but that mod isn't real cheap either. Something to consider.
I'm not sure about the mounting setup, but I'd bet Kennedy has an adapter kit to fill your requirements.

As for the 930, you can't go wrong so long as you can be happy with a 4-speed.

Finally, there's a mountain of information here on the forum. Don't hesitate to use the 'Search' tool - it's a great feature which will uncover solutions to a lot of questions you may already have. A lot of topics have already been discussed at length and the answer is right there. At your fingertips. :)

Good luck with the build!

T.

I've been reading through threads most of the afternoon and haven't found just what I'm wanting to know on the Audi 016 transaxle. I have seen the most replica maker supply rear uprights with their chassis. Is there a commonly used upright for someone building a scratch chassis?

In a nutshell, I'm wondering what you'd use for rear uprights/brakes if I decided to go the Audi route. Aftermarket supplier or is there a manufactured car that I could adapt uprights from to work with the 016? Such as a corvette or similar...

Grant I used the entire Audi drive train in the mid mount set up in my Mclaren. The drive shafts are different lengths and just by luck the longer of the two worked out the perfect length when I found an other one. The wheel bearing is not as wide as I would have liked in comparison to some others but I figured that if it could stand the weight of an Audi front sedan along with all the steering loads, then it would easily cary my meager loads. I bit of lathe work and you have a new centre to fabricate the upright around. I went a little overboard with strength and my Mk 2 ones would be great. With careful design, you could have your attachment points as part of the design rather than bolted to. The picture shown has got my Mk 1 wish bone with a dodgy shock mount which is now direct onto the upright, I will see if I can find another picture.
Cheers

Attachments

• Rear suspension 002.jpg
    Rear suspension 002.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 272
  • exhaust headers in place 003.jpg
    exhaust headers in place 003.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 250
These shots shown the new set up more clearly. You can see where the new shock mounts on the upright.

Attachments

• rear suspension set up 001.jpg
    rear suspension set up 001.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 248
  • rear suspension set up 002.jpg
    rear suspension set up 002.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 256
  • rear suspension set up 004.jpg
    rear suspension set up 004.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 265
So, pardon my ignorance, those are Audi uprights? I like how the coilover is mounted in the 2nd set of pics.

EDIT: I see from your build thread that you fabbed the uprights. Did you cut the carriers out of the Audi's and weld your "framing" to that?

Last edited:
Grant
The methode I used was to turn up a centre section tp press the standard Audi Bearing into and then fabricate the upright to the centre with the appropriate mounting points. I did a final bearing fit once I had done all the welding and fabrication, using a wooden dummy bearing for dimensions. As I said earlier, my first ones are `strongly` constructed and could easily be improved on.

Attachments

• Fueled for go 003.jpg
    Fueled for go 003.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 260
Back