Audi 016 with CW & P 2.92 ratio

I have an Audi 016 AAZ gearbox and wanted to do something about not having a sixth gear. Sitting on 110 km/h it was doing around 3000 rpm.

The other problem with the AAZ is that first gear is almost useless - it is too low and you need to change to second gear almost immediately; some drivers ignore first gear and just start in second most of the time.

I considered an Audi 01E box. This provides a sixth gear but still suffers from a too-low first gear. It is also not cheap to change from a 016 to a 01E.

My next approach was to see what could be done by changing the final drive ratio. Other threads have described how the standard final drive ratio of 3.89 can be changed to 3.22. What I wanted to do was to "eliminate" first gear and "gain" a new sixth gear; here are the effective overall ratios for the gears with the last column deliberately staggered a gear to indicate the approach to the solution and how it compares:<table>
<tr><td>Gearbox</td><td>01E</td><td>016</td><td>016</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td>Model</td><td>DPV</td><td>AAZ</td><td>AAZ</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td>Final</td><td>3.88</td><td>3.89</td><td>2.92</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td>First</td><td>13.58</td><td>14.00</td><td>&nbsp; -</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>
<tr><td>Second</td><td>7.33</td><td>8.29</td><td>10.50</td><td>(1st)</td></tr>
<tr><td>Third</td><td>5.12</td><td>5.68</td><td>6.21</td><td>(2nd)</td></tr>
<tr><td>Fourth</td><td>4.15</td><td>4.16</td><td>4.26</td><td>(3rd)</td></tr>
<tr><td>Fifth</td><td>2.83</td><td>3.35</td><td>3.12</td><td>(4th)</td></tr>
<tr><td>Sixth</td><td>2.33</td><td>&nbsp; -</td><td>2.51</td><td>(5th)</td></tr>
</table>

I approached Albins (who make the crown wheel and pinion for the 3.22 ratio) and we arrived at a ratio of 2.92. (Albins offroad gear - products: Accessories)

Jim Cowden fitted the new crown wheel and pinion (and added the elsewhere-described strengthening plate and also supplied me with a new engine bay brace to make it easier to remove the gearbox in future).

After some test drives I am very happy with the result. Perhaps I have given away some off-the-line performance but my priority is road rather than track use and first gear is useable at last.

Assuming a conservative rev range of 2000 - 5500, in-gear speeds are:<table>
<tr><th colspan="2">AAZ 3.89 (OLD)</th></tr>
<tr><td>First</td><td>18 - 49 km/h</td></tr>
<tr><td>Second</td><td>30 - 82</td></tr>
<tr><td>Third</td><td>44 - 120</td></tr>
<tr><td>Fourth</td><td>59 - 163</td></tr>
<tr><td>Fifth</td><td>74 - 203</td></tr>
</table><table>
<tr><th colspan="2">AAZ 2.92 (NEW)</th></tr>
<tr><td>First</td><td>24 - 65 km/h</td></tr>
<tr><td>Second</td><td>40 - 109</td></tr>
<tr><td>Third</td><td>58 - 160</td></tr>
<tr><td>Fourth</td><td>79 - 218</td></tr>
<tr><td>Fifth</td><td>99 - 271</td></tr>
</table>

And 110 km/h now equates to just over 2200 rpm.

Kym

I would sure like to do the same ring and pinion for my transmission. I am afraid the exchange rate to US$ will make the price way to high though. Does anyone know of any other sources for this gear set?

I do not think that you are going to have a custom one off set made from Albins for that kind of price. I looked into this for a customer of mine and had quite a few issues, and the price was quite expensive. I would count on around 5K to get this done. However if you have better luck finding this please let me know. I would definantly be interested in this.

Thanks,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2
(720) 980-9407 cell

I got a quote from Albins on the 3.22 gear set. It was right at $2K at the current exchange rate. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on that.

Back