Danger - zf type 2 oiling

Re: ZF Transaxle for sale<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="COLOR: #000000; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->
I POSTED THIS RESPSONSE TO A THREAD IN ANOTHER SECTION OF THE SITE (GT40 PARTS FOR SALE) AND THOUGHT IT SHOULD ALSO BE PUT UP HERE:

Be very careful with inverting a zf-type 2. It will not lubricate properly and may be severely damaged before you have any idea there is a problem, particularly under the noise of a loud engine between the driver and the t/a. The problem stems from the fact that the drive gear set in a type one is located well above the t/a fluid in the bottom of the gear case. The type two was rotated 180 degrees to fit in the pantera, and as such, the drive gear set is now in the bottom of the case and fully runs in the oil.

Zf incorporated a transfer oiling tube in the type 1 t/a originally designed for the gt40, that collects splash from the ring and pinion and drops it on the gear set. Oil is collected from the ring and pinion which rotates through oil in the bottom of the t/a and splashes it into the trough. A tube then takes that oil through the wall that seperates the r&p cavity from the gear case and drops it on the upper positioned gear set in the transmission side of the case, which otherwise does not get oil. Oil transfer holes must also be machined in the lower section ("after inversion" orientation), so that t/a fluid can flow between both the axle section and the gear section of the complete housing. If these transfer holes are not machined, eventually the r&p splash will tranfer all the oil in the r&p cavity to the gear case side and the r&p will be damaged form lack of lubrication.

I secured the trough/transfer tube assembly directly from zf parts in friedrikschafen, germany in 1991. The part was still available at that time. 17 years later you may not find it at zf, but if you can locate a parts manual for a type 1 this trough/tube assembly is illustrated and could possibly be fabricated. Also, if you find a type 1 parts manual, it will show a couple of other components related to oiling in the gt40 orientation that nominally apply to a type 2 inverted for a gt40 (i don't remember exactly what they are). If aggresive vintage racing is in your plans, these additional modifications are mandatory for t/a life, but if you're going cruising mostly they're not necessary. I ran my inverted type 2 for 10 years on the street and experienced no probelms related to oiling, having only installed the trough.

At any rate i strongly recommend not running a type 2 invereted for a gt40 without re-designing the oiling system.

A good point to consider with any transaxle inversion. Oiling is always a consideration that should be given a great deal of thought, as well as cooling.

I highly recommend, for you DIY people to really think about how the oil is moving and consider strongly a good pump, (we like the tilton) and oil cooler.

Heat kills gearboxes faster then almost anything else.

Happy building all,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell

Back