What's the easiest way to pull the Audi 016?

Pat

Supporter
I'm going to freshen my clutch and resurface my flywheel. So I'll need to pull the 016 tranny. Any suggestions for the easiest way to do that?
I can see unbolting the rear trailing links and pull the suspension or is it easier to disconnect the slave cylinder, shift linkage and unbolt the drive couplings?

CAV pre 100 clutch / flywheel change ( obviously necessary )

Attachments

• CAV2-0209.jpg
    CAV2-0209.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 306
  • cav2 - 02.09.jpg
    cav2 - 02.09.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 300
  • CAV2 - flywheel 4.jpg
    CAV2 - flywheel 4.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 263
Veek, I had to abort a clutch change on my 016 because, at the the time, I didn't have a proper/sufficient means to support the car and engine with the cross member removed. My CAV is mono #6 and I have to say, with the cross member removed (to allow the 016 to move rearward) it was awfully sloppy at the rear suspension mounting points on the chassis (no weight on the rear suspension, just the weight of the engine on the mounts). In my new garage I now have a 2-post lift, a 4-post lift and an overhead crane on rails so I'm in good shape and will do the clutch replacement over the winter.

Net, I think you have to take the weight off the suspension, support the chassis appropriately, and support the engine appropriately before you start to unbolt that cross member....

Back