Cool solutions, pun intended, for all transaxles.

Hey there everyone,

So with all of the consideration placed on which transaxle to use. I thought it was about time to address a few things that most people forget.

HEAT!!!!!

The biggest killer of any transaxle is heat. There are a several different solutions to this HUGE problem. I will try to outline a few that we use and recommend here. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or add to this post anything that you feel would be helpful.

First, address the cause of the heat. Namely friction inside the gearbox. This friction is what causes loss of HP through that drivetrain, and is a big cause of the overall heat generated inside.

Solution 1 - Reduce the friction. How? We highly recommend Cryogenic processing of the gearbox internals, combined with a two step REM process. This has been around in the racing communities for years and years now, and you will find most high end teams will actually have these machines as part of their shop now. It has slowly trickled down from Formula one, Indy Cars, to Nascar, and Top Fuel Drag cars to the general public. Cost - $1,500.00 for all internal components through us here at Carquip. Our process also adds a Temper stage to the process after Cryogenics. This adds two to three times the life to the internals, and lowers gearbox friction dramatically. Less friction = Less heat and more HP. How much? Well figure not the much in terms of HP probably 5 to 10 more on the Dyno. Reduction of heat upwards of 60 degrees F.

Solution 2 - Use a good transaxle cooler and pump to keep the gear oil cool and circulating. We recommend only the best pump, a Tilton, and a very high quality double pass cooler, usually used with engine cooling for most applications. Dimensions for the cooler are 6 inches x 11.5 inches x 2 inches. This is a very good cooler and will more then adequately cool your transaxle oil to a more reasonable temp, so long as you place the cooler in an area of airflow. Cost - $400 for both the pump and cooler, plus shipping. Keep in mind that this price does not include the braided lines from the transaxle, or the taps for the gearbox. Somewhat impossible as placement is going to make their length difficult to guess.

Solution 3 - Use a high quality transaxle oil. I am going to try to avoid upsetting anyone here by not expressing which oils I really do not like, but I will say that there are a couple that are better then the rest currently out, and call this good. If you really want to know my thoughts on a particular oil, send me PM or give me a call and I will be happy to share my thoughts individually.

Street applications - We recommend one of four. Either Swepco 201, Swepco 210 for harder driving and more heat protection, LE 703, and LE 704. Cost - $60 to $100 per gallon This might seem rather expensive in comparison to some of the other options used, but let me assure you, given some of the damage that we have seen here as a result of oil failure, and the associated cost of a rebuild, this is a very inexpensive solution.

Race applications - Either Swepco 210 or LE 9920. The LE option is a full synthetic and is the best of the best. It is not cheap at $100 per gallon, but it offers unparralled protection, reduces gearbox temps, has a wear-reducing agent that will not separate from the synthetic base, and simply the cat's meow of gear oils. Again Cost range is - $60 to $100 per gallon.

I know that I have kind of gone on here awhile about this now, but again given the amount of time and money you are already investing in the building of these very hot cars, it only makes sense to spend just a little more to keep the major component that the car so hot, cool.

I hope that this information has been helpful. I have everything that is mentioned here instock and ready for shipment out if anyone wishes.

Warmest Regards and happy building to all,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell

Howard Jones

Supporter
I usually run my car in the summers months here in California with air temps as high as 100F. I installed a pump and cooler much like you recomend along with a temp sensor and oil temp gauge. I have seen oil temps (gearbox) at about 160-180F. 180F would be a 30 min session on a 100F day. I have no idea how hot it got before I put the cooler, pump and gauge in. How hot is too hot and what is a good target temp.

I am using Redline synthetic.

Most open track days are 20-30 min sessions and I supect that it takes longer to really heat up the gearbox.

Also what effect does the different types of LDS's have on oil temp. I have a Quaife in my R21 Renault. I have been told that is generates less heat than other types.

Last edited:
Erik, agree with you that heat is a critical factor in failure. Additionally, however, putting too much torque through a gearbox/transaxle is a different, and also critical, factor. Related, yes, but quite different. It would be unbalanced to give folks the impression that merely adding a cooler or cryo treating an undersized gearbox/transaxle is going to save it from failure. In other words, a 427 mated to an 016 isn't going to last long even with a cooler and cryo treating - it might go for 500 miles instead of 5 but it's not going for 10,000.

Possible to share your opinion on the Redline series of oils without offending anyone here? I've used the Redline NS and a cooler in my 016 to good effect (bolted to a 350hp 302) and I'm sure you're right, the cooler is doing a lot to extend the life of this 'box.

I absolutely agree, that your selection of the correct gearbox is critical to this. You could not run say 1000 HP through a G50/01 for instance, and I do not wish anyone to think that I have a solution to cure a poor gearbox choice. I meerly wished to address the issue of heat and how even a well chosen gearbox for a particular application can still fail if the issue of heat and friction have not been properly addressed.

As to the Redline products. At one point they were considered the some of the best on the market. I do not currently recommend these product now. My understanding on this is that they have gone though a couple of different reformulations, and that the products are not standing up as well as they once did.

We have had some rebuilds here that were pretty bed inside from customers using the Redline products, and while I am sure that there are plenty of people out there using them still without any issues what so ever, we simply do not recommend them. I believe that there are better products available, albeit, a bit more expensive to use.

I hope that I have not offended anyone here, as I am still a bit new to this site, I just wanted to share my thoughts and see if I could be of any help to you all here.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell

No offence done

Reformulation of oil is a permanent issue. Just see what they have done with "ROTELLA T".
If you could point out what makes your oil recos superiour to us we could learn and understand. WOuld be very happy to learn more about it becuase oil chemistry is somehow always a kind of big miracle, or at least it is communicated like that.

Thanks
TOM

I believe the statement is taking in consideration that everyone knows that putting 1000HP through a G50 isn't a good idea. Although it might be fun to watch!
:laugh:

Heat kills just about anything along with friction. Just look at automatic transmissions. Most are destroyed because of heat or low fluid (which leads to heat)--only much faster.

I personally have been uing synthetic gear oil for over 25 years and have had no problems. Although I haven't had my v8 Porsche 944 running yet so I can't say about that. But I use synthetics in everything and swear by them. I know it seems that everyone says not to use than in Porsche transaxles with the balk ring synchros but I have never had an issue. I've used it in the water cooled and air cooled Porsches I have owned along with the muscle cars and 4 wheel drives and my minivan.

Back