Renault gear ratios

Guys

Just a quick question of how i go about revising my Renault gear ratios. My current setup give the following

1 st 25 mph
2nd 40

5th gives 70 mph at 3700 rpm, and seems to run out of puff around 120mph.

I would like to have 2000 rpm at 70 - 80, as it gets a little tiring on motorways, I would like to revise the current ratios.
I'm also looking at upgrading the engine to 350 bhp (current around 225 (marine 302)Any advice would be appriciated.

Alan

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Alan

It soulds like you have a short diff in the box.

Does it have an ID tag on it - on a bolt on the rear cover?
If so post it up and info is available to say what you've got

Or speak to Chris Cole he'll be able to rebuild it and get you better ratios

But 2000 at 70mph is probably not possible. The normal ong ratio and 5th will give about 2700 at 70mph

Ian

Hi
No tag on bax, but it's a GTD supplied (I believe) along with the "marine" 302.

Thanks for the advice I will try Chris.

Alan

Malcolm

Supporter
Is the casing "bare" ali or painted black? As I understand it, if painted black as my box supplied by GTD was, then you actually were sold a recon unit not a new box. Bit annoying really but a bit late to do anything about it now! But it may mean the internals are not as expected. Does sound like you have a short diff ratio. You want to try and get a 3.44 final drive. I have a long 5th gear in my box which is only good for cruising on Mways etc. No good for track work, not that many tracks have long enough straights to warrant use of 5th. I would concentrate on the diff and whilst it is apart slip a quaife LSD in there.

If it was supplied by GTD in one of thier early cars it is almost certainly a Renault 30 box, useing a 3.88 diff. Solution is to talk to Chris and get a Renault 21T box with 3.44.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Chris can also supply a higher 1st/2nd gear cluster, if required, as well as the high 5th.

Almost sounds like you have a Renault 20 box in there with a 4.11 FD to be getting those speeds. Mind you, depends on what revs you can get in 1st and 2nd and what your tire size is .....

I have the R-30 in my GTD. The ratios are just perfect for my backroad blasts. It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't want a taller box for the driving I do ...I love keeping the revs up!!

well isn´t the r30 gearbox a 367 four speed with 1:1 in fourth and 4:11 final...
or was there r30s with 5 speed boxes too?

Back