quick question

i saw a thread saying the trans wont take more than 500..this is why i asked... Im going to see the car today!! so we shall see what the future holds...

A lot of that is going to depend on what transaxle you decide to run with too.

There are several options that would allow you to push well beyond the 500 HP envelope. I would be happy to discuss what they are with you if you would like.

Feel free to give me a call, I am always around to help.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell

Howard Jones

Supporter
Another way to look at this question is to think about how much power the car will be able to use effectively. The orginal cars had about 400-425hp in the MK1's and maybe 550 in the MK2's. Those cars back in the day were running on what would'nt even be considered a good street tire by todays standards.

I think that a street car with verygood summer only V rated radial tires would do very well with 400HP. In a Track only car up about 500Hp on dot slicks. Much beyond that you should really be thinking driving lessions and not more power.

My car has right at 300hp at the wheels and the OVERALL PACKAGE is very fun to drive fast on the track even with street tires. If I ever want to go any faster I will mount up a second set of wheels and put on some slicks.

All in all there isn't really a good one size fits all reply to this question but a nice strong 302 at about 400hp would really be about right with a gearbox to suite. The first thing I would do is put an LSD in it.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
I think the quickest answer to this question is ' HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU HAVE '

This will determine how far you want to build a transaxle to handle the power you want to throw at it.

Dimi.

Back