Cayman Transaxle?

Hey guys, great forum you have here, keep up the good work. I have a couple of questions though. I would like to use a Porsche Cayman 6 speed Transaxle for my build and have seen some tuners such as RUF and others get as much as 450 hp and 420 lbft of torque comming from the engine, so can the stock gearbox handle that or are they modified to handle that much power? Also how long is this box from flange to tail, i hope is is shorter than the G50. Thanks for your help

I found some of the specs for a Cayman S g87.21 on caymanclub.net forum:

1st 3.308
2nd 1.950
3rd 1.407
4th 1.133
5th 0.972
6th 0.822
final 3.875

70 mph w/26" tire gives 2882 rpm in 6th.
158 mph @ 6500 rpm

Some are running turbos and there doesn't seem to be any reports of failed transaxles.
<!-- / message -->

Ruf and 9FF modify their Cayman gearboxes for the increased torque capacity. Their essentially the boxster six speed guts in a different case from the factory.

The six speed box is fairly strong though. I wouldn't doubt it could hold a hard 400ftlbs in the Cayman without pause. In a lighter kit car that would increase a bit.

I have a Cayman S box here now from a customers car but haven't opened it(doesn't require it.)

thanks for all the info! I appreciate the help i think i want to use the 6 speed, but was was wondering Adam since you have one can you measure the overall legth of it for me...and the length of the bell housing flange to the center of the axle points? Thanks a bunch guys!

thanks for all the info! I appreciate the help i think i want to use the 6 speed, but was was wondering Adam since you have one can you measure the overall legth of it for me...and the length of the bell housing flange to the center of the axle points? Thanks a bunch guys!

Sure thing. If you want, because I'll most likely forget to do this, call me on my cell phone at the shop this week and remind me to do so.

Best bet is to call me Monday or Tuesday, anywhere from noon to 6pm eastern time. I should be at the shop at those times where I can quickly get those measurements right there on the phone with you.

Number is 518-225-8384. If I don't answer for some reason just leave a message with an appropriate contact number and I'll get right back to you. I often don't hear the phone, but check it very often for missed calls and return them on the spot.

-Adam Hennessy

Dan

OAL is 27.5" give or take an 1/8"

Bellhousing flange surface to output flange centerline is 6.7"

There is no low hanging differential sump either( flat bottom) so clearance below it is non-issue

Dan,

As a Cayman owner, I can testify that it is a fine transmission, but you need to know that unlike the 911, the Cayman does not have (until the '09s arrive) a LSD (even as optional equip.). There are a couple of good ones available, but will set you back about $1,000/unit. Most guys who are upgrading to more power in the Cayman bulk up the clutch, but that's about it.

Dave

Thanks guys that is all good news! compared to other transaxles i have seen that seems to be slightly shorter which is a good thing! Thanks again for your help guys!

Pat

Supporter
To resurrect an old thread, has anyone put a G87 into their car? I have a friend on the lookout for a G50 box and he recently contacted me about a G87 that was available from a Boxter S. The donor was very low mileage and the box looks great with pricing competitive with the 01E's out there.
But the devil is always in the details and given the hassles some have had with their 016 upgrades, I wanted to test the waters as to parts availability, axles, flanges, SBF adapter plates, clutch, starter, linkage etc. Given the number of successful G50 installs, the G87 may or may not be a viable option if all the parts to fit and make it go have to be one-off custom specials.
If somebody offered a reasonable 016 final drive kit, I'd probably not be looking.

Last edited:
Back