G50 or UN1 for Tornado

Hi, my name is Randall and new to the forum. I have my mind set on buying a Tornado GT40 later this year and in light of this project I am doing some transmission research.
I've been able to buy a G50-03 from a 1990 carrera2 with only 30k kilometers for a true bargain, added bonus after researching the serial number; it has a ZF lsd!!
Now the Tornado chassis is based on the UN1 transmission, which I can also get for a low price.
My dilemma is this: do I modify the chassis for the G50 ( No problem, I own a motorsports company and I can weld anything) or do I stick to the UN1 version.
I am used to building cars from scratch ( race/rally fwd cars and some dakar rallyraid cars)and my gut would say to modify the chassis and use the G50.
I would like to know if anyone has experience with the g50 in a Tornado and if the G50 will give fitment issues. I intend on using a 351 Windsor with a Kennedy engineering adapter-inverter plate.

Hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks and best regards

Randall

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Randall

Welcome to the forum and its good to see you have decided on one of our cars.

We can supply all related parts for the Renault option such as bellhousing, gearlinkage, CV adapters, speedo cable and drive shafts etc.

As we have various uprated modified Renault based transaxles available we have not needed to look at other options.

We do have customers using Porsche, ZF, Hewland and Audi transaxles.

Another consideration is the weight of the finished car. As our cars are approx 2000lbs which is up to 1000 lbs lighter than some other replicas there is 30% less load on the transaxle in our cars.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy.

First of all ,thank you for your reply.
The thing is, I already have this lsd equipped G50/03 on the shelf and the lsd options for the UN1 are quite expensive, at least when I understand correctly from GTO racing uk.Not even going in the one piece main shaft direction.And lsd is a must, specially in these mid-engine rwd cars, in my opinion.
The weight advantage is a good thing. Have you seen the G50 installs in your chassis or can you tell me if they have length issues? Mounting I'm not concerned about and driveshafts/flanges can be made.
What horsepower/torque maximum do you use as an upper boundary from your experience with the UN1?
Sorry for all the questions, but want to do this thing right the first time around..

Thanks and best regards

Randall

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Randall,

Below is some brief information that may be of use (I just pasted out of some of my notes). I went from a UN1 to G50-52. I am extremely satisfied with the results. Can't go wrong. The fabrications was very minimal and certainly appears your more than capable.

G50\52 converted to G50\50 clearanced for ring gear (not 930 early)
Bellhousing face to centerline of cv - 8 3/4"
Overall length - face of bell housing to tail of short nose cover - 26 3/4"
Shortened bell housing and main shaft approx 1", now considered a G50\50 housing
Reinforce "ears" that hold clutch fork
Ring gear oiler - need cooler and pump
Steel syncros
40% limited "zf" style LSD - 80% not recommended for street
Short nose cover
Side shift
R&P 3.44
1st-3.15, 2nd-1.789, 3rd-1.269, 4th-.967, 5th-.756

Back