Factory Five Transaxle?

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Re: The Price of Transaxles - Why are Transaxles Expensive?

Another pipe dream. Go to the place, where it says order here.

Factory Five Racing*::*Warning

On the first page, I really liked this part.

"First of all you have to pay for the part in full, and then WAIT for between 3 and 6 months! Your money will be put in an escrow account where it will remain until you receive your transmission.

Second of all, there are no refunds on these orders as we are committing a huge amount to the initial order"

Regards Brian

Re: The Price of Transaxles - Why are Transaxles Expensive?

Actually, IIRC & Im sure others with vested interests will jump on me from a great height if Im wrong...I read some time ago that all the deposits were returned & they 'FF' had decided not to go ahead with the venture at this time.....

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Lots of good ideas out there about transaxles. I think it's going to take another year before the economics of building and servicing a product are reasonable. The world wide economy is rebasing, which IMO, means that the numbers for producing and selling a transaxle are rebasing.

this post is dated 11-19-2009

GTM Transaxle Update from FFR
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Guys,

I've received a number of e-mails and questions about our Quaife Transaxle so I figured I would give you guys the most current update. The short story is that we have about 14 orders right now. We placed our original order with Quaife and while some prices have recently been increased, our target sale price has stayed the same. The problem, quite frankly, is Shelby. The current litigation is costing a lot of money and while we are doing well, we simply lack the $360,000 required for the inventory. I had hoped to negotiate the initial transaxle order into four separate shipments, thereby spreading out the cash flow hit. Unfortunately, with the ongoing specter of the legal bills, I have to make the difficult and unpopular decision to delay the transaxles. I had already put off this decision under the assumption that the legal extortion from Shelby would be behind us a month ago.

I've communicated our decision to delay this order with the guys from Quaife and while they are certainly not happy, they understand. I've asked Sandra in accounting to return people's order money (which has always been in a dedicated account) and will honor the original prices to those folks when we go forward with the transaxle in the future. I estimate this will be within 6 months, and base that estimate on the worst case cost projections of the Shelby lawsuit.

One of the challenges is to remind folks that we are a small company without any investors and projects constantly compete with each other. My decision is just one of many that are made on a daily basis to pick projects and new products in the right sequence. The real burden that this Shelby lawsuit has placed on the company has been tough. I suspect the timing was no accident but the real result is only that it rearranges priorities and takes out valuable resources. Shelby notwithstanding, we're doing great and there is no scenario whereby he can do anything to us other than delay our constant and inevitable growth.

In the meantime, while there are existing transmission options, I can only say that the reason behind this effort is unchanged and that is namely that the cost of a simple Porsche gearbox has been so terribly inflated that it requires us to market a better and lower cost option. The only thing that has changed is the timing and I hope my post here answers any questions and puts to bed any rumors.

David Smith
President

That is a tough situation for them, I can appreciate the pain and suffering a legal challenge is. One hopes they can get back to the transaxle soon.

Undoubtedly, legal bills keep rolling in with the delays between rendering of services and invoicing and, of course, all the follow up that goes into a tough litigation scenario.

Congratulations to David for putting on a strong showing against the Shelby legal assault. Frankly, I think if a "Shelby Legal Relief Fund" was set up there would be quite a few people willing to contribute to it in order to help out those that have had to deal with his overreaching BS.

Peter Brock came up witht he Daytona Coupe, Eric Broadley came up with the GT40, CS just happened to be in the right place at the right time to put his (considerable) skills to work to exploit these already-existing designs.

Those of us involved with replica vintage race cars such as GT40/Daytona/etc. (basically, everyone here) are all substantially benefitted by way of FF's successful legal battle with CS. "Successful" is bittersweet for FF I'm sure as that success comes with a load of legal bills and distraction from the more important business of serving customers. Bravo FF.

Back