Cableshift.com

Has anyone used their shifter set up with the 016? seems ok. Just want to see if they work ok before I buy one.

I have one of their cable shifters on my 016. I also have one on a G50 box. The shifter for the 016 is considerably sloppier than the one on my G50. I also had to do a repair on the shifter for the 016 as well. The internals below the stick are made from brass and appear to be brazed together. One of the brazes failed. The 016 shifter box (the part below the stick) is smaller than the G50 one. I believe the price for being compact is a little looser feel and a little more fragility. Other than the problems stated it works fine. Installation is easy and the cables and the transmission end of the shifter are top quality. I have about 7,000 miles on the car now and it is working fine.

When you say sloppy do you mean like an egg beater or just a little free play like a few mm? Is your shifter centre or on LHS? I made my last one but was wondering if there is better out there.

My transmission is a side shift. There is no play at all for and aft but the play side to side is significant. The play is almost equal to the gate to gate width. I believe that the play is all in the linkages below the stick.

Jonathin do you have any pics of how you mounted the cables under the exhaust? and how long did you get for your cables?

I don't know the cable length off hand and it would be very hard to measure it now that it is installed. I have an RCR and it came as part of the deluxe plus kit. I have a center shift and the cables go down the center of the car. Then they go around the engine on the right side as high as I could mount them. There was plenty of room below the exhaust to route the cables.

It is not real clear but you can make out the cables in this video YouTube - First Start

I am running an Audi 5N transaxle. First gear is nearly worthless unless you are starting on a steep hill. Fifth gear is not bad for highway speeds. I am running about 2500 RPM at 60. I may do a ring and pinion later to lower the RPMs a little and make first gear more usable, but that is for a later day. Shifting it into reverse is a challenge. Between the lock out on the cable shifter and the built in interlock built into the transaxle it is tough to get it into gear. I need to play with that a little more. I am sure I can do something to make it better.

Hey Jonathan
I was reading your build thread and found some pics ( thanks) and also I noticed you wrote something about the shifter being hard to get into reverse. Did you get this problem solved?

It is better but still a little difficult. The 016 has its own interlock to prevent a downshift from 5th to reverse. If you enter the 5th gate you have to go to the first second gate prior to entering the reverse gate. The shifter also has an interlock that you have to push the stick down prior to entering the reverse gate. The spring for this is tough and if you aren't careful you end up in the 5th gate when going for reverse forcing you to have to go to the first gate again. The interlock on the shifter is a rod welded to the shifter and a plate welded to the box that bocks off the reverse gate unless you push down on the stick. I have been meaning to trim that a little to make shifting easier but it works fairly well right now.

Ok.
Was Talking to Jim from Cableshift.com and I will order a shifter in the next day or so. Thanks for your help.

Back