Pilot bearings needed?

While researching my Duratec 3.0L to 944 trans swap, I discover that the Ford Duratec/MX75 trans (transverse factory setup) does not use a pilot. I intend on using the Ford flywheel and the clutch parts from the MX75, as the clutch bolts up at the engine side and slides onto the 944 shaft at the trans side. I know that others have had pilot concerns with mating the 944 to other engines, but Ford has demonstrated that if conditions are right, a pilot is not needed.

So my question is, do I need the pilot? If so, why.

You will probably need it for the 944 as it was designed that way. The Ford transaxle was designed to be supported internally so that it does not need a pilot bearing in the flywheel. If you don't use one you will most likely get alot of chutch chatter and the front bearing and seal in the transmission won't last long.

Ah, thanks. Not the ideal answer as far as my work goes, but better to do it right the first time around. I hate redos

Boxes with very short input shafts typically don't require a pilot bearing, however longer input shaft gearboxes do require them. I've got a few horror stories of people not running a pilot bearing on the 01E gearboxes.

Back