GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > GT40 Technical Forums > GT40 Tech - Powertrain/Transaxles

GT40 Tech - Powertrain/Transaxles Transaxles and driveline - don't dare post engine things here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2010, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jon
tokick4
United States

identify gearbox

I thought I had a un1 box but the tag on the rear has across the bottom 001339 and then around the sides up over the top starts with c NG9003. These numbers are on a metal stamp tag bolted to the end. Then I found a number on the housing at the tail that had 7700598829. Can any one help me identifiy this because I need to make an adapter to mate to a bmw v12. And can anyone give me the information in what I need to do this with.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 29th September 2010, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
pdprice_2000@hotmail.com
United Kingdom

GT40: Southern GT 40
Re: identify gearbox

look at this link on ebay it has a bit of information
RENAULT 21 GEARBOX (CODE NG9001) 2.1 TD FROM A 1992 VEHICLE

RENAULT 21 GEARBOX (CODE NG9001) 2.1 TD 92 on eBay (end time 18-Oct-10 13:33:08 BST)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 29th September 2010, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
simonjrwinter
I Have No Life
United Kingdom

Will a UN1 stand up to the torque of a BMW V12 engine?
I would have thought a ZF or G50 would have been a safer bet.

Simon
Old 30th September 2010, 01:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
LastPago
A Tenth
France

GT40: GTX-LM

A standard UN1 has high risk to break above 40 mkg of torque. This considering the Yield trength curve of the steel used and the different shaft sections. Obviously this value may vary according to the resistance the car offers to the force moment (weight, tyres friction, air resistance with speed etc...) and also by the heat inside the gearbox. Anyway keep this number (40) as a pivot for a standard use of the gearbox. Below 35 it is ok, 35-42 is the high limit, above you need upgrades.

A NG gearbox is the poor sister of the UN1, weak gearbox even if at first glance it loks like a UN1, it is really weak and clearly not safe for the use you plan to do.

So better to sell it and buy a real UN1/UN5 if you want to go with Reault or any other brand according to the recommendations made here

Cheers

Stephane