ZF-2 Identification Please

Can someone tell me what this box was originally from?
Also it has 4 bellhousing mountings whereas I see many -2s have 7 mounts.
I have a bellhousing that has the 7 mounts. I guess its not going to be able to be mounted up to this casing - without recasting a new bellhousing?
Your thoughts please.

Attachments

• 172696653_full.jpg
    172696653_full.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 407

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Going by the fact it has a splined shifter on the opposite side to the early -2, plus extra casting ribs around the upper front area and CV stub axles I'd guess it is a later -2 from a BMW M1.

If so it is a quite desirable ZF.

The cast iron tailpiece is definitely M1. So it's a great gearbox, but it will take some finesse to get it into a GT40. The shifter mechanism is different (I don't know the specifics) so some Pantera gearbox bits will be called for. The input shaft is also different--different spline pattern/size, and a different length too. I think it's too long to be used without modification (or some sort of thick spacer) with a Ford motor.

Those are vague recollections, so don't plan on taking those to the bank. But armed with those ideas, you can do further research and ask pointed questions to whoever you would choose to do the work necessary to adapt it to your use.

In your neighborhood, Paul Donderwinkel seems to be the ZF man of choice. He's in New Zealand...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The input shaft on an M1 box is several thousandths longer and will wipe out the thrust bearings on your engine if not shortened.................ask me how I know!

Thanks for the replies. Yes - I did a heap of searching and see that it is an M1 box. No problem with fitting, its going into a car that has been set up for a ZF box with SBC engine. I have the bellhousing for the conversion but its for a 7-bolt mounting. I guess I could always either make an adapter plate or cast a new one. Thing is - I have a Ricardo 6-speed sitting on the bench in the workshop with the idea of putting that in the car, but with all the time and extra money required to fit that it may be better to do the ZF as I can retain the OEM starter, flywheel, clutch and not have to hash the mountings. Id just to a 2-cable shifter like the M1 has.

The car in the photo attached isnt mine, it has a twin turbo SBC350 in it but mine looks very similar except the front has the BMW 'double Ds' .

Attachments

• DSC00325.JPG
    DSC00325.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC00329.JPG
    DSC00329.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 268

Ron McCall

Supporter
Do you have a picture of the front of the trans? I believe it is a M1 case (7 attachment bolts but the top one has been removed leaving four holes. There should be two threaded holes at the bottom for the other two bolts.

Ron

Bruce,
The gearbox identification tag has a 10 digit number starting with,
1031 002 ???
The last three digits will tell what the original application of the gearbox was.

Oliver, the numbers on the case are: Stock no. 1031002 108, Getriebe Nr 11776.

Ron, I'll go have a find out as to the mounting holes.

Last edited:
Bruce,
The original application for your gearbox is listed as an Alcorta Sportwagen, that doesn’t mean much it could have just been someone named Alcorta ordered a gearbox for his sports car. It is practically the same as a BMW unit but with different ratios. The input shaft is of the BMW type.

Back