Wonderfull Transaxle on ebay anyone can advise

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I guess Mr2$$4me would be my thoughts. 44K, and reserve is not met. Considering other options out there, It would appear to the uninitiated (me) this is absurd, unless I had a Carrera GT having “pop-out” issues, and even then…

Ron Earp

Admin
Mr2fast4u - check the rules of this forum and pay attention to #2. I'll check back with you to see how you get on.

Hi Ron
I have been playing with the Idea to build a Kitcar like the GT40 or Ultima
was also looking at the lines of the SLC
but dont want to go the traditional route with either ZF or G50 box but something for a supercar.

Now I dont understand what you mean with rule no 2:huh:

I guess Mr2$$4me would be my thoughts. 44K, and reserve is not met. Considering other options out there, It would appear to the uninitiated (me) this is absurd, unless I had a Carrera GT having “pop-out” issues, and even then…

Hi Terry
Thanks for your advise but looking at the layout it is transfersly designed so no polar movement :idea: and total weigth of 60 Kg 130 Lbs ahndles loads of Hp NM
I am seriously considering looking at no rebuild it can live for more than 100000 miles etc and offcourse it is a lot of money but you get what you pay for isnt it:thumbsup:

Attachments

• CIMG1958.jpg
    CIMG1958.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 402
  • 112_0401_Trannyz_2004_Porsche_Carrera_GT_Tech+2004_Porsche_Carrera_GT+Transmission_View.jpg
    112_0401_Trannyz_2004_Porsche_Carrera_GT_Tech+2004_Porsche_Carrera_GT+Transmission_View.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 339

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I love the layout as well, but more from a fitment (lack of any mechanicals behind the back edge of the wheels) than anything else. I would hazard a guess that the polar moment is not substantially different than the typical north-south design of the usual transaxle. Moving the center of that relatively small center of mass (transaxle only) a couple of inches forward cannot have any significant impact on handling unless we're talking about a pure race application. I would even go further to say that this transaxle pulls the engine closer to the axles (based on the appearance of a shorter bellhousing casting), which then would push the engine center of mass rearward (based on the concept of locating the drivetrain based on axle or CV geometry), thus cancelling any advantage of the shorter rear overhang, if not actually increasing the polar moment overall. So with the shorter overhang out the back, and a so far unmentioned lower CG (all the gearing is set very low), it would be a great option if not the requirement of unlimited funding (for me, 44k on a transaxle is the definition of unlimited funding).

Last edited:
Hi Terry
You are out early i gues in the states it most be around 6 in the morning

regarding the transmission I was also thinking of the driveshaft location but
the distance from the front of the transmission to the centre of the driveshaft is the same as the G50 its approx 22 Cm
so no difference there

This engine/transmission layout is exactly the same as the McLaren F1 - a Weissman design from the early 90s. Im kinda thinking the same as the others $44k is a tad on the high side. By the way, whats happened to the engine - look like it is smoke damaged or something ......

Hi bruce
The engine was from a car with a fire in the interior the engine has some light damage on the plastic parts.
But I am using a BMW V10 the porsche V10 is very rear not many tuning options as goes for the price a used engine still goes for 100,000 USD
for 30,000 - 40,000 I have a BMW upgraded to approx 700 Hp
:shocked:

Hi Steven

A SLC with that drivetrain would be something. Any dimensional drawings available from this gearbox to roughly check the fit ?

TOM

I have a picture from a different angle
there you see that most of the weigth is located very low and that is good for the C.O.G figure it must handle like hell

Attachments

• CIMG1959.jpg
    CIMG1959.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 341
The gear ratio are
<table class="verdana11BlackN" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td class="verdana11BlackB" width="50%">Gear Type</td> <td width="50%">6 Speed Manual</td></tr> <tr> <td class="verdana11BlackB">Final Drive</td> <td>2.19:1</td></tr> <tr> <td class="verdana11BlackB">1st Gear Ratio</td> <td>3.2:1</td></tr> <tr> <td class="verdana11BlackB">2nd Gear Ratio</td> <td>1.87:1</td></tr> <tr> <td class="verdana11BlackB">3rd Gear Ratio</td> <td>1.36:1</td></tr> <tr> <td class="verdana11BlackB">4th Gear Ratio</td> <td>1.07:1</td></tr> <tr> <td class="verdana11BlackB">5th Gear Ratio</td> <td>0.9:1</td></tr> <tr> <td class="verdana11BlackB">6th Gear Ratio</td> <td>0.75:1</td></tr></tbody></table>
tyre size Carrera GT 345/30/20

Hi Steven

A SLC with that drivetrain would be something. Any dimensional drawings available from this gearbox to roughly check the fit ?

TOM

here some dimensions
53 Cm long from the belhouse - the rear
62 Cm wide at the widest part
height at the belhousing including breatherpipe 52 Cm

I'm guessing that if you use this trans it will be easier to fit to a tub type chassis where the rear suspension pick up points won't foul with the gearbox. I can't recall how the Carrerra does it, but I'd bet it's a fair bit wider than a GT40, so there is room to package the pickups.

Again, I'm only guessing on this, but things might get tight in a SLC without some mods to the back end. But if you are spending $44K on a trans, you can afford to pay Fran to get to work on the chassis of the SLC.

Hi Ben
I am considering both at the momenty I am in the planning stages and also working on the budget.
I like the Ultima is a nice car but the con is its an old design
I also like the SLC which is a more modern design but registration issues in Europe
the GT 40 a car that is nice and timeless design so choices to make
but at the moment If the SL-C was within the European registration rules would be my choice

any advice

Hi Ben
I am considering both at the momenty I am in the planning stages and also working on the budget.
I like the Ultima is a nice car but the con is its an old design
I also like the SLC which is a more modern design but registration issues in Europe
the GT 40 a car that is nice and timeless design so choices to make
but at the moment If the SL-C was within the European registration rules would be my choice

any advice

What difference would there be between an Ultima and an SLC in terms of registration rules? You can surely get an SLC registered in the UK (it's been done), and then transfer the registration to Germany later, right?

Back