Looking for a un1 to 302 bell housing!

Hi guys,

Stumbled upon your site looking for a bell housing for my project. I actually don't own a gt 40. I have a Delorean that I am looking to transplant a 302 into it. I am in TO, Canada and was wondering in anyone in North America might be able to help me. Bellhousing would need to be shallow to keep the motor inside the rear bumper. If anyone has anything or can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appeciated.
Thank you in advance.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
The UN1 was never sold much in USA

It may be easier to buy in the UK and snip to USA. Courier is next day to sea shipment in about 16 to 20 days

Ian

Lou:
Try Kennedy Engineered producs in CA. They have a web site but does not show all so you may need to call. Don't have the number handy but I am sure it can be looked up.
Cheers
Phil

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
With a standard Renault Belhousing you cannot use a Standard Ford flywheel - you end up having to modify a Ford Transit one

Getting the ford Bellhousing allows ford flywheel and starter

Ian

Kennedy doesnt offer one. I was going to order one today from GTO (very helpful guy) but, thank god he sent me a pic. Because the trans is in my Delorean is in front of the motor, The pocket for for ring gear is on the other side. Can't justify spending that kind of money and trying to modify that. I think what I'm going to try is to mill down a ford bellhousing on the trans side,, mill down the un1 bellhousing on the engine side,, make a fixture to index them, and weld them together. That way I will be able to use the ford starter and clutch assembly and the renault/delorean release bearing assy.

Wish me luck,lol

regards
Lou

After a little bit of thinking, I finally got a bell housing finished for my project. 3/4" aluminum plate, 302 t-5 original bell, trimmed down and I welded them together, going to use a hydraulic bearing so I don't have to worry about the Renault fork/ linkage set up. I made it 135mm deep and just going to get the ford coarse input shaft, thats seems to be available from gto, if some one from gto sees this, could u please contact me? As u can see, I am serious about ordering one!

thx
Lou

Attachments

• IMG_8178.jpg
    IMG_8178.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 671
  • bell.jpg
    bell.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 808
Lou - instead of changing the input shaft, why dont you just get a clutch plate with the correct centre spline pattern instead? Failing that, just pop down to your local machine shop and get them to make up a new input shaft for you.

Kevin Box

Supporter
As far as I can remember Gear Cutting Services in Auckland NZ made these input shafts for GT40NZ when it first kicked off

They might be worth a try. I'll dig around and see if I can find address or contact info

I think Albins Gears in Australia also does them various lengths and splines $450 Aust ???

Phone: +61 3 5335 8022
Fax: +61 3 5335 8366

Address: 24 Wiltshire Lane, Delacombe, 3356, Victoria, Australia
Email:
[email protected]

A better alternative is a one piece shaft. I think Albins may do that also.

Cheers

Kevin B

Last edited:
Kevin - what gearbox do you have in your car?

Yes - you are right, Gear Cutting Services in Auckland made a few parts for the GT40s, mainly the hubs to convert to CV joints on the Un1-13 boxes.

I had a 1-peice input shaft made by them. I just gave them a drawing of what I wanted and the old shaft and parts and they made one up for me with revised ratios too.

The short input shaft shouldnt be too difficult to make by a good machinist.

If I find a picture of my 1peice shaft I'll pop it on here.

I need to replace the input shaft because I made the bellhousing 135mm which is deeper than the original, and from what I've found on the net, the stock piece is apparently very weak. I was quoted a price on a bell housing and an input shaft, and after making my own bell housing, the guy told me that he wouldnt sell me just the input shaft. :mad:

I know they are available in the UK, I was just trying to find somebody in NA that had one. Making one is my next option, I just figured that people have these sitting on the shelf and would like to move them.

P.S. If anyone has a used posi unit for a UN1, I would be interested.

Thanks guys
Lou

Kevin Box

Supporter
Bruce

I have a UN1-13 sitting in bits on my bench. It has been modified for 4 spider setup and has the GT40NZ input shaft. Not sure what UN1 the 4 spider carrier is out of but I had to machine it to carry the speedometer drive as per the original UN1-13. I am currently looking for shims so I can take some of the slack out of the spiders/side gears and hopefully get the 4 spiders to share the load better. Also hoping in the back of my mind that an LSD may turn up at a reasonable price.
As you pointed out the whole shaft is quite flimsy and I'm looking to do a single piece shaft so I'm quite interested in what you did. Maybe you could post the the drawing and pictures if you still have them.
The UN1-13 wasn't my first choice but came at a really good price so it was hard to give up.
The flywheel & clutch combo that I have for it is Alloy flywheel (steel insert) and Xtreme Ford Clutch combo which should be more than adequate. It all fits together quite well. The bell housing is the GT40NZ which replaces the front cover of the UN1-13 and allows full size Ford clutch and Ford type Starter
The only thing not sorted is the hydraulic release bearing. I would like to use a concentric hydraulic release bearing but there is not much room so may have to stick with the lever supplied in the kit which I think is Ford of some kind. Also I have to organize a slave cylinder. The kit looks like it used the Renault one but the bellhousing is not drilled or machined for anything so I will have get creative and use something that is more readily available in Aust.
The down side of the kit is the slave cylinder sits on the top of the Bellhousing in the cooking range of the headers so concentric would be better.

cheers Kevin B

:stunned:

if you look up at my pic you can see that I am using a Ram throw out bearing, there is enough room. I made my own ring gear cover, hope that helps,

as far as the input shaft, I will end up making one, just havent had the time yet, trans is in the car as I am in the midst of making the 180 headers and fabricating whatever I need to right now

Back