Venting a 930

I am about to get on the road with my car and I have noticed with the car sitting during tune session(s) that the fill plug(originally the drain plug) has air bubbles coming up around the plug. This tells me that pressure is building just from the temps of the exhaust and the spinning of the input shaft(in neutral). I had heard of competition trans blowing the front seal from a buildup of pressure(and temp), but thought that only was needed for competition. Evidently not!! I need some direction on thread of the plug and what will fit. Or rather What fitting is best suited. I will assume it needs to be a right angle due to the proximity of the exhaust. I already have a vent for the valve cover that goes to a catch can. Would this be a suitable site to dump excess fluid/steam etc.?

Bill

P9010202.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
I am about to get on the road with my car and I have noticed with the car sitting during tune session(s) that the fill plug(originally the drain plug) has air bubbles coming up around the plug. This tells me that pressure is building just from the temps of the exhaust and the spinning of the input shaft(in neutral).

I will need to look at mine to see where it is vented.

But, on the temps, I'd suggest a heat shield between the mufflers/pipes and the transaxle. Before the heat shield we'd eventually creep up to 240F on the transaxle oil temps. After the heat shield we make it up to around 190F-200F and there it sits.

Thanks guys,
I knew this info was out there but the search function didn't help me out. I like Russ's layout and will use a variant of it to achieve the vent.
I liked Dimi's sight tube setup. My problem is that I already have a T off the bottom of the trans to go to the pump and the temp gauge. May have to add another T on the temp gauge.
I planned all along to use a heat shield for the mufflers. With the stainless exhaust, the temps are carried further along the tubing, so radiant heat is the enemy. I like the new aluminium shielding that is maleable and sandwich in nature. It can be made to not hide the trans but still do the job(and still look like it belongs there).
Are there any tricks to removeing the fulcrum plate. Have never ventured into the trans.

Bill

Hi Bill,

There is a fork attached to the underside of the fulcrum plate. Once the bolts are loose and you break the seal of the gasket, just wiggle the fork free and the whole plate comes upwards. When re-attaching, the fork just re-alignes and sits on the shaft it came off. I would advise not playing with the gears while the plate is removed though.

Martin

Hi Bill,
I did mine just like Russ did his (I think I got the idea from him, thank's Russ) and it works great.
Steve

I poked a hole just adjacent to the old drain plug and intend to route a line to a catch can/breather well above the gearbox. (inverted 930).

Back