new un1 synchro upgrade, better/faster gearchange

hi all, i have a un1 mated to a ford cosworth engine and i was having a lot of trouble with my 1st to 2nd gear change
i rev the car to 7250 (soft cut)
and anything over 6000 the gear just would not engauge. it would just crunch until the revs had dropped low enough then it would go in gear.

well i have been speaking to a member on here called LASTPAGO (stephane)
and he told me of new synchro rings that he was making.

i then got one fitted into a box that was rebuilt by chris cole (mach1) (un1-013 1993)

well the difference is enormous.

the change into 2nd gear is now much better, its smoother and faster than ever before.

as the revs used to have to drop to below 6k the car would start to drop off the power band.
now the car stays on the boil much better and is therefore faster off the mark.

if anyone is after a better/faster gearchange then you would do well to talk to stephane as he is going to be supplying them.

as the origionals are no longer available from renault you used to have to use good condition 2nd hand ones.
well now you can have uprated new ones :thumbsup:

i would recomend them to anyone doing a rebuild or having trouble with thier current box.

the new ones are now coated with a black material similar to the other gears in the box (that were designed by hewland) they are no longer the old fashioned ring/groove setup like the cheap renault ones.

i was having work done by pete doherty of DPE engineering who designed and built a lot of upgrades for the cosworth 4x4 box, including the straight cut gearsets.
he looked at the synchro and said it was very good and that he also does the same to the cossies to improve the gearchange.

chris cole also liked them and thought they were a good upgrade.

they are available for 1st and 2nd gear.

any questions im sure stephane will be happy to help, and i will do what i can.
having rebuilt my own gearbox 3 or 4 times trying to resolve the problem before getting the new synchro i have quite a good knowledge of them lol.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks to Stuart for this positive comment.

Anyway, unfortunately, I have to bring some precisions.

Stuart gearbox went used as a guinea pig for a test of an highly specific friction material. We engineered various materials and castings.

Its actual gearbox went rebuild using standard synchros : so a new synchro but basic version already brings high benefits.

The racing synchros are not for sale, we only manufactured 200 units and the members of the club I belong bought all of them.

I will post if we go through a new production batch.

Greetings

Stephane

Hi Stephane

I was wondering if you were going to make another batch of synchro's?

My UN1 seems very slow to change from 1st to 2nd gear so I was hoping to find some information to improve it.

Regards

Steve

If they'd fit the UN5 'box I'd like a set for 2nd, 3rd and 4th if possible if you do some more.
If you think they're sluggish at 6000rpms you want to try them at 10krpm :cry:

Hi any news on another run of the syncros?

How many would you have to sell to make another batch?

Cheers,

John.

Hi, just heard from Stephane. Below his message.

Hello Harry,

Unfortunately, I have bad news. The manufacture felt into bankrupcy and thus did not deliver the products. I would say the situation s very bad, as we don't know if we will even be in position to get back our molds...wich are our full property...

So, at the mment no rings. I need to find an other supplier and see study the full cost of relaucnhing a production.

Greetings

Stephane

Let us all hope he gets the molds back at least.

cheers,

Harry Martens
VERSNELLINGSBAKREVISIE

Back