930 trans solid rear mount

Hi I have noticed a lot of people mount the rear of the transaxle solid to the frame,does this cause fatigue and crack,I have noticed every road car has some form of rubber mount on the gearbox?also with my flipped 930 tran can some one tell me the gear patten from standing behind the car so I can work out linkages?
Thanks Martin

Martin,
As far as I know there haaven't been any cracking issues with the solid mounts of the 930s whether street or racing. If someone knows of some they can chime in. Here is how I fabed my mounts.
P1010077.jpg

You can see the neutral gate mock up in this photo. Looking from the rear in my pic, 1st is down and into the trans. 2nd is straight back(out). 3rd is in, up and further in, and 4th is straight back. Reverse isfrom the neutral position, down (hard) and into the trans. There is a spring that keeps the shifter from going into reverse by accident.
Shifters being used are several types. The single rod type that does all the rotating and ins and outs.
Shiftermechanism.jpg

There are some commercial units out there that incorprate cables.
Renegadeshfter.jpg

Some salvage yard Toyotas of the late 80s that are being used.
shft.jpg

Picture157.jpg

With the Toyotas, the ins and outs are reversed and a Z bar has to be incororated.
P1010154-1.jpg

Here is the neutral gate and Z bar together that I fabed up.

P1010151-1.jpg

If you don't like the Z bar or the neutral gate setup like mine(some have it in the horizontal plane) then you have to have cables long enough to reach the rear of the trans to do the direct route of moving the shift rod.

Here are some of the methods used.

Shiftermechanismmeasurements-1.jpg

SabreShifter2-1.jpg

Shifter1-1.jpg

ShifterG503.jpg

You are only limited by your imagination.

Bill

Thanks Heaps,been in Australia my shifter will be on the RH side ,all the setup I have seen are on the LH,As first gear is in on the gearbox ,could the shifter just push forward and pull the shaft staight in (just a long rod from the front of the car to the rear with some uni joints?thanks again Martin

Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Works fine Martin.

It connects to a 'rifle bolt' shifter in the cockpit which is nice and precise and quick for the track. But for a road car I think a conventional pivoting lever would give more feel and be easier on the syncros.

Under racing conditions the change is almost instantaneous, however my syncro teeth are taking a real hammering. Thats a compromise I can live with though until I convert to dog box.

Back