ZFQ Cableshifter

Urs

Supporter
I search a cableshifter for our ZFQ. Anybody has one to sell ?

Thank you

Greetings from switzerland

Mike Pass

Supporter
Most ZF and ZFQ use a rod shifter. Do you have a central gearchange position or some other reason you need a cable shifter. The rod shifters usually have the gearlever on the right hand sill and are for right hand drive as per original. These are available from many sources.
RCR may do a cable shifter as many of their cars are left hand drive with central gearlever.

Cheers
Mike

You need to speak to Dennis Olthoff in the USA. He does a cable shift mechanism which is for left hand drive cars but I think could be modified to right hand drive if required. I have driven a car with the said system and couldn't feel much if any difference from the rod type change.

Attachments

• IMG_6801.jpg
    IMG_6801.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_6804.jpg
    IMG_6804.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 589

Urs

Supporter
Thank s for answering.
We drive on the left and the shifting is in center. Fran from RCR told me that the ZF cableshifter probably would not work with the ZFQ. I send an email to Chris Melia but i didnt get an answer.
Ill send Dennis olthoff an email.

Greetings from switzerland

Urs

Supporter
Hello i also dont get any answer from olthoff racing for the cable shifter :( are there other companys which are selling zfq cable shifters?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Hello i also dont get any answer from olthoff racing for the cable shifter :( are there other companys which are selling zfq cable shifters?

I bet you would have better luck calling Dennis (+1 704-647-9924). To my knowledge Dennis' offering is a set of brackets that adapt the Superformance GT40 cables to the ZFQ. So if you can supply everything from the lever back to the ends of the cables, then his bracketry is just what you need.

Alternatively, I am sure he could get you the Superformance shifter and cables, but I have no idea of turnaround time or cost. When I bought the bracketry from him a couple years ago the price for it was $350.

Below is a picture of my ZFQ with the bracketry installed but no cables attached. The lateral cable is anchored at the right rear corner of the transaxles square top. The longitudinal cable is anchored just to the front of and above the axle stub. In both cases the anchoring point is a hole ~1" dia to mate with the threaded sleeve and pair of nuts at the end of the cable sheath. The inner cables attach with clevises and 6 mm bolts.

ZFQ Shift Brackets small.jpg

An alternative of course, if you cannot get something from Dennis, would be to use the photo to have something similar made up. It's not terribly complicated; just requiring the right hardware to allow the various arms to pivot.

Come back with any questions, etc.

Keith

Mick answered, that they have no zfq cable shifter :(

Greetings URS. I just did a random search and came up with a US company that seems to make custom generic cable shifter systems for mid engined cars and Quaife themselves who make a cable system for sequential boxes: so they might be able to assist your search.

Search: Accessories - Quaife Engineering

You might also try Ultima Company or measure the length required against any mid engined car such as Elise or Porsche. That is what the Locost brigade are doing in the UK for mid engined self built cars and kits.

Here is a PDF for the American Company.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• hydraul1.pdf
    105.9 KB · Views: 339
Back