what type of hubs to use.

ok so im rather new to the gt40s, in the last week or so ive done enough reading to get a basic concept of how everything works and how fits together in the end, all except for where the axle shafts go into the wheel hubs. this is where im confused. what kind of wheel hub are people using, is it something from a kit, or are people using the same hubs that would come from the same car as the transaxle? im really confused.

thanks, tommy

Tommy:
It all depends on how your upright is constructed. Original uprights and some aftermarket units use a thru shaft and hub assembly with tapered roller bearings which require preload. Some use a unitized press in bearing that accepts a CV joint with a threaded snout which is splined to the hub, much like a front wheel drive setup. Then there is the bolt up bearing such as those found on Corvettes etc. that simply bolts to the face of the upright and accepts a splined shaft and hub. They all accomplish the same job essentially, and it all depends on how close you want the upright to look to original.
Do some searching on the forum and you will see a lot of setups to get some ideas.
Good luck
Phil

ok, thanks for the info. im not to worried about it looking original, more of just serving the purpose it was built for.

Hi Tommy,
I used a Jeep Cherokee 4X4 front hub that is like a cassette and bolted it to a billet upright. I used the Jeep disk with a Corvette caliper, it's very strong (4X4 front ends are rated one ton) and inexpensive. If you would like a picture of the hub I can get it for you.
Steve

Attachments

• 100_0216.jpg
    100_0216.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 428
I think the jeep ones are the ones TVR use(d), as such there are decent size (AP Racing) brake disks for them. As Steve says, inexpensive and strong.

Although wheels are limited with the PCD etc most people I think seem to get custom wheels (sometimes with knock-on adapters) so that isn't an issue.

Hi Tommy
I've used mid 80;s corvette which incorperates the hand brake. I've gone to wilwood brakes but you can use all corvette brakes and then its quite simple to use the complete unit. I used all the front end from the same wreck as well These units bolt straight into the uprights I used, so the type of upright is where you need to start
Woody

Attachments

• GT40_0050.jpg
    GT40_0050.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 323

Kevin Box

Supporter
Woody

Great looking setup for brakes.
What metal did you use for the Hat / Brake drum ???
thinking of doing something similar on mine but using BA Falcon backing plate.

Cheers KevinB

Hi Kevin
Sorry it took so long to reply. I used 1040 medium tensile for the hat, mainly because thats what I had lying around.I'm not sure how it will work out a bit of a guess really. I didn't want to go any higher in tensile strenght because I once made a flywheel from 4140 H/t and I ended up with hard spots and then cracking. Most flywheels have worked fine in 1040.
Woody

Kevin Box

Supporter
Woody

I agree with you on 1040

I was playing with 6061 aluminium ones with a steel insert (K1045) to do the same job. (similar thinking to alloy flywheel)
I heated the aluminium up to 220 degress (wife's Oven on Max) and froze the steel insert to get a 10 thous interference - not sure how good it will be but I can pin it if I need to.

On reflection my weight saving was minimal compared with yours

Cheers KevinB

Kevin
Good idea with the insert I'm sure that will work fine but how do the wife's cup cakes tast, not metalicy I hope. I've since milled out a substancual amount between the bolt holes and had them balanced. Not sure if the internal finish is to smooth for the handbrake to hold the weight of the car. especially after watching the guy at the testing station give my truck a WOF he used power rollers in the floor to over run the handbrake.:shifty: A little harsh I thought given its just a hand or park brake and not really ment to stop a rolling vehicle. Might have to get out the knurling tool:embarassed:

Kevin it is called an emergency brake. Though most of us think of it as a parking brake. But one of the major reasons for it being there. Is that it may be the only brake you've got in a hydrolic failure situation. Happened to my son years ago. A wheel cyl. broke & lost all hydrolic fluid (1963 car with single cyl. brake master). The hand brake (& a fire hydrant LOL) was the only way he got it stoped.
Mike s.

Back