Help Needed with Audi/Skoda Gearbox

I know there is a wealth of info on here concerning the Audi transaxles, but I was wondering if any of you could help identify a gearbox I am considering purchasing to mate with a 302. Details are as follows:

Skoda 2003 2.5TDi, serial numbers on the box are : AEK ZWN 8150070808, O1E 301 211C, O1E 301 103-K

Can anyone tell me the ratios for this? I'm hoping it's the same box as an Audi unit (certainly some of the numbers seem familiar), as I was originally going down the O1X route and bought a bellhousing adaptor, flywheel, gear linkage etc from Bailey Edwards in SA (he was using O1X boxes with good success for two endurance race cars which I saw in his workshop). I've been told now that the O1E is a stronger unit (but the interface on the bellhousing is the same), so I'm hoping this Skoda unit will do the job. The car is only for road use, and only running about 300bhp (as long as Mike Huddart doesn't get carried away on my engine!). The gearbox is cheap, so I can afford to take a gamble.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Brett, thanks so far for your advice.

M.

Hi

There should be another number underneath the gearbox. There's a picture here to help locate it.

David found some ratio info here, so assuming you have a similar code, these should be your ratios.

Hope this helps?

Sounds like an FRF to me.

My only concern with the 01E is that it sticks the driveshafts very low and depending on your chassis can be limited in how low you can mount it due to the width anyway (it's asymmetrical and sits IIRC 40mm to the left). To have the driveshafts level you'd have to have the engine mounted rather high.

The only way (partly) round matters is to angle the engine nose down.

Having looked at the prices of CV joints (~£20ea) I figure for what is primarily a fun car I'll angle the engine, stick it as low as I can and take the risk that the CV's will only last 10% of what they would in the original cars they were designed for!

Sounds like an FRF to me.

My only concern with the 01E is that it sticks the driveshafts very low and depending on your chassis can be limited in how low you can mount it due to the width anyway (it's asymmetrical and sits IIRC 40mm to the left). To have the driveshafts level you'd have to have the engine mounted rather high.

The only way (partly) round matters is to angle the engine nose down.

Having looked at the prices of CV joints (~£20ea) I figure for what is primarily a fun car I'll angle the engine, stick it as low as I can and take the risk that the CV's will only last 10% of what they would in the original cars they were designed for!

Sorry David but I have to disagree. The limiting factor is actually the bottom of the box itself and the way it 'kicks' down.

Actually fit the engine in with a box and you will see (but I know that we are talking a 302 setup here). My engine sits lower than a standard GTD with a Renault UN1 and the shafts are fine (and the bottom of the sump is just above the chassis bottom rail (go see my build log).

As for the offset, you can compensate this by making an adaptor. Your shafts will be slightly smaller, but it allows to use the same and more common CVs each end. Also, in theory it reduces any effects you get from one shaft longer than the other. The other benfit of the adaptor is that VAG have a non-common PCD on their output flanges, so you would need to have very custom shafts made up.

Brett, it's ok you are free to disagree! :)

IMO it is the same problem as with *all* boxes with the driveshafts below the input shaft, the original ZF's, inverted UN1's and G50's are all better in that the driveshafts are above the engine and so it can be mounted lower. They each have their own problems of course (price,fragility, availability etc). The 'standard' UN1 and I think the 016 (I've not seen one) have the same issue.

IMO the 01E is a *very* good gearbox for the money but it does have its issues.

I had a look through your build thread (Happy belated B'day to your 3 yo btw) and you don't have a shot from the left with the chassis intact... :D

I'm not sure if the 01X is narrower or the diff is smaller but the 01E has a nasty diff cover on the left that hits my chassis way before anything else anyway, other kits may vary! ;)

DSC07821.JPG

If you wouldn't mind measuring them how high are your drive shaft centres from the chassis bottom, what ride height are you currently running at back and what size rear tyres?

Hmm, i don't have any pictures... bugger. The car is up on stands and I can't get to the rear at the moment. I can confirm mine with the 01X is the same as the 01E in terms of the large diff cover interferring. I'll take pics when I can. I think I spaced it at 3mm clearance from the rail.

Here's the adaptor drawing I did in case you want it (and for Mark as well) :)

Attachments

• Audi CV Adaptor.pdf
    25.6 KB · Views: 409
Back