Clutch master in a CAV

Anybody know what kind of clutch master cylinder is in an early (mono #6) CAV? Feels like mine is going out and I'd like to order a new one before diving into the hole and pulling it out (that'll be a fun job.....).

Thanks.

Pat

Supporter
Cliff, it should be an easy removal, pull the clevis pin from the pedal and then unbolt from the front. Once it's out, measure the bore and I bet you can get a rebuild kit for it at any auto parts store. My car's unit seems to have a VW logo on the booser unit so I bet a VW dealer could fix you up. Once you get it out you bring it to the dealer who can check for sure.

Hi Pat,

Thank you, good suggestion, and you're right on the money. It's a volkswagen part....Ate clutch master cylinder for a Vanagon ('82-'91), left hand drive, non-synchro. Part number W0133-1615742.

I ended up pulling out the whole pedal assemby as it was pretty grubby in there. Also, the pedal ratio for the clutch is too low for my set up (audi 016). It's about a 2:1 or maybe 2.5:1 ratio, making the clutch pedal both very heavy, and have too much throw. I think it should be more like 3:1. So, I'll modify the pedal box so it's an adjustable ratio rather than static, powder coat everything, install the new master cylinder and put the whole assembly back in the car. Really fun working down a deep footwell hole....

Attachments

• Ate clutch master.JPG
    Ate clutch master.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 229

Pat

Supporter
Thanks for the part number Cliff. One thought, while you have everything out; I put a stainless kick pad from a hobby store on the side of the footwell. It stopped my clutch foot from tearing up the carpet and looks cool. I also bent the pedal stems to widen the throttle pedal toward the center of the car as well as a bit of a tweak to the brake pedal. It made things a roomier for my big feet! Before you powder coat, you may want to consider it.

Back