Gallardo e-gear to bmw m5 engine

Hello,
I am reading your forum from some time and decided to ask you a question that is not concerning exactly GT40 but as I see you have a lot of information for mid engine cars. I am considering to build a mid engine 4wd kit car. I choosed the gallardo transmission and bmw v10 engine. Did anyone know how the transmission could be operated? Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Peter

Last edited:
contact the guys that built the V10 ultima and redesigned the OEM trans to a trans axel setup. I posted lnks to them before so search my previous posts.

why would you exchange the VAG V10 for the BMW V10?

by the time you have had everything sorted and up and running, a KMS tuned VAG V10 would have been cheaper.

KMS have build an (or at least co-build) ultima can-am V10 with lambo stuff. they might be able to provide some information on the transmission?

ps for that money you could probably also put a sequential Cima gearfox transmission behind the BMW engine, much nicer combo.

grtz Thomas

Thank you for the responds. I am looking for 4wd transaxle thats why I am looking to gallardos transmission. If anyone knows other supplier for 4wd transaxles it would be very nice.

Porsche have a few that could be used, as do renault and subaru and audi.

I have seen a ford sierra cosworth 4x4 box use in a midengine cofiguration. also Miller extreme Vehicles did that with their dakar 4x4. they just mount the complete drivetrain back to front, and then flip the axle's over to get the car to drive forward.

ofcourse a complete big guns 4x4 transfercase is not easy to fit, but the various boxes with internal transfercases are quite narrow. and much the same as the gallardo layout. it just depends on how you want to arrange the diff set up on the rear axle.

I suppose a MT75 box + twin cossie LSD's should be able to cope with some power.

grtz Thomas

Attachments

• lambo%204x4%20gearbox.jpg
    lambo%204x4%20gearbox.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 447
  • mt75gearbox.jpg
    mt75gearbox.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 759
the question that I would have with flipping an existing gear box is how to deal with the torque split 60f/ 40r would be a handfull, unless you used a stg gearbox and a divorced x-fer case

I'm not sure 60f/40r would be a handful, maybe a bit understeery though.

Ideal would be something with an active centre diff like the one fitted to things like the Mazda 6 MPS [Mazdaspeed6] (not a suitable awd system but the first one I thought of).

Thank you for the responses but maybe I didn't explained correctly what my question was. I am asking how can I control that semi-automatic transmission (e-gear) with another engine and in another car. I suppose that the transmission is controlled via a separate ECU that is made strictly for Gallardo ... and how will I tell it for example wether it to be in automatic or manual mode? I also suppose that the tranny ECU is communicating with the engine ECU when it comes time for shifting to release the trotthle and etc.

wow you're in for a challenge, getting an engine to run stand alone is easy but controlling a gearbox accorinding to data provided by the engines management that is allready stand alone... pfieww looks like you're heading towards a pectel managment or PI cosworth.

gonna be an expensive one probably, if you want all features to opperate.

could prove easier to just convert to manual opperated flipper style shifting, after all in the end it's all down to analogue solenoids or simplish digital stepper motors.

good luck and keep us posted I'm very curious wether this is possible.

grtz Thomas

wow you're in for a challenge, getting an engine to run stand alone is easy but controlling a gearbox accorinding to data provided by the engines management that is allready stand alone... pfieww looks like you're heading towards a pectel managment or PI cosworth.

gonna be an expensive one probably, if you want all features to opperate.

could prove easier to just convert to manual opperated flipper style shifting, after all in the end it's all down to analogue solenoids or simplish digital stepper motors.

good luck and keep us posted I'm very curious wether this is possible.

grtz Thomas
Keep your fingers crossed and I will keep you posted :)

Hi,
if you want an easy life, use a complete Gallardo powertrain (also the wheels ) including the operating electronics. It could be relatively easy to set up. The Gallardo ECU works perfectly with the Graziano / Marelli GCU. The clutch application as well is ready to go.
To me it will be a nightmare to use an hybrid powertrain by using a BMW engine.
To change the body shape to an original Gallardo is easyer and cheaper than any other activity you may think.
Ciao
Wanni

Back