930 CV joint assembly - gaskets

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
So after a hair pulling experience of trying to find the correctly fitting CV boots for the 930 "cans" or boot flanges, I followed up on another string's recommendation (Dave Deerson) of Taylor Engineering assemblies. My question now is, how many gaskets per CV is used in the assembly. My first thought was two, one on each side of the CV joint. But now I question that thought, and wonder if instead it is only one gasket (on the outside only), with no gasket on the boot flange (or "can") side. My concern is the shear forces associated with the driveline, and the long bolts, and gaskets all working together to cause loose or broken bolts. Plus, the flange seems to be a fairly snug fit which would seem to inhibit the passing of CV grease, even without the gasket on that side.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
IMO no gaskets --like you say , gaskets compress - therefore unabling(?) correct torque of the fasteners -- a smeer of silicon sealer if you must to stop grease seepage

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Yeah, you hit the mark on the compression of the gaskets, but the OEM applications use them, but it seems that the boot flange will not need the gasket...still debatable on the other side of the CV.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
From various sources that all coincide on the info, if a cover plate fits into the bowl (which in this case is the output flanges in the transaxle), then all I need is the cover, without gaskets. But, in my case again, the mini-stubs in the uprights have a tight fitting recess that precludes the use of these cover plates, and thus requires a gasket (or RTV). Lastly the boot flanges are similar in design to the cover plates (stamped steel), so no gasket is needed with them as well, thus the only gasket needed is a single outboard one per side (two total).

If this was using the OEM application, I wouldn't be so concerned with a little wisp of grease flinging up from the CV to the underside of the car, but if a little grease comes out on my project, it hits hot headers, the hatch underside, starter and back of motor, so it would look pretty ugly if this happened. Thus my over-concern that I have no leaks.

don't put anything inbetween these the bolts will most likley eventually come lose. 2 fellow Gardner douglas owners put rtv on the flanges a both fell out one on a T70 and the other on a Cobra, the bolts on both cars where torqued with high end calibrated tools.

the ones on my G50 (same CV iirc) are not leaking and have nothing inbetween them.

grtz Thomas

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Good input, and I've removed all the gaskets. Prior to Thomas' comment, I placed a 1/16" beed of sealant in the "corner" of each cover plate/boot flange plate, and then bolted them together with the blue threadlocker. I'll keep an eye out on the bolts to make sure they stay put.

Back