Audi V8 - 012 gearbox

Hi Guys
I dont have a GT40, sorry! but I have made a replica Zonda R inspired thing. It was powered by a twin turbo Jag V12 coupled to an 012 transaxle with a redrilled Audi 80 flywheel and clutch. All was good until the engine blew.
So I have now fitted a 32 valve Audi V8, again using the same gearbox.

Someone suggested that you experts here might know what is the best flywheel and clutch setup yo use with my setup?

any help will be gratefuly received!!

By the way, I used the Audi 80 diesel gearbox which is a great tranaxle and I had no issues with the Jag v12 at 1 bar boost, it flew!

Cheers
Nick

Attachments

• Zonda_Bahrain.jpg
    Zonda_Bahrain.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,612
Nick, please provide photos of the Audi 012 transaxle mated to your V12 if possible. This group is always interested in transaxle options and the 012 might be something to consider. Scott Dewitt....any thoughts on this as an option to the O1E or o16?
BTW, Nick I'd contact Scott Dewitt with www.AdvancedAutomotion.com he appears to be quite well versed in Audi gear.

Nick, please provide photos of the Audi 012 transaxle mated to your V12 if possible. This group is always interested in transaxle options and the 012 might be something to consider. Scott Dewitt....any thoughts on this as an option to the O1E or o16?
BTW, Nick I'd contact Scott Dewitt with www.AdvancedAutomotion.com he appears to be quite well versed in Audi gear.
Thank you

Attachments

• South Bucks-20120926-00161.jpg
    South Bucks-20120926-00161.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 4,588
  • DSC_6454.jpg
    DSC_6454.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 2,935
  • DSC_6453.jpg
    DSC_6453.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 2,286
thats good to hear, as i have just purchased an 012 box from a V6 deisel to go behind a mild 302 SBF in a single seater. the ratios are spot on, i dont have to flip it, and the bonus was it was as cheap as chips.

cheers John

Just wondering Nick, who made the chassis? I would be looking seriously at those rear shock mounts and how they are located.

Just wondering Nick, who made the chassis? I would be looking seriously at those rear shock mounts and how they are located.
Hi Bruce
I made the chassis :( As the car evolved bits have had to be trimmed off here and there to fit new bits. One mount had to be trimmed to allow the V12's left turbo to fit correctly, but there is a torsion bar that goes between the 2 mounts for extra rigidity

I based the design of the chassis on the Ultima and so far its stood the test of time with no issues

Nick I am using a Audi abz 32 valve V8 and the 012 box and i used 034 motor sports flywheel insert worked perfect then it is just a matter of buying the clutch and pressure plate you want i went with a stock pressure plate and a unsprung clutch from ebay i think it was a F1 racing 6 puck

Nick I am using a Audi abz 32 valve V8 and the 012 box and i used 034 motor sports flywheel insert worked perfect then it is just a matter of buying the clutch and pressure plate you want i went with a stock pressure plate and a unsprung clutch from ebay i think it was a F1 racing 6 puck

Hi Mark
I am using a VW VR6 flywheel that has been machined, and using the flex-plate for the starter, The whole lot weighs 7kgs. I can use any VW clutch now :)
I will ave to drill and tap through the VR6's clutch bolt holes to bolt the flex-plate to the flywheel and align the 10 flywheel bolts holes up. I guess it will need balancing afterwards

DSC_6472.jpg

DSC_6471.jpg

Well done, lot of work.
What audi is a 012 fitted to

If Audi puts it behind a V8 it must be reasonably strong you would think.

Jim

Jim i put an 012 box behind the LS1 in the F5000 replica and 3 years and one oil change later its running like a Swiss watch.

kaspa

Hi
My car has moved on a lot since then. The car is almost finished and goes like a rocket, my chassis has stood the test of time, going from the 5.3l twin turbo v12 to its 3 Audi v8 with twin t3/4 turbos. The Gearbox is still an 012, this is from a diesel A4 (I believe) the difference being the bigger drive shafts.
The only real issue I have is trying to find a decent Megasquirt ignition curve for a 3.7 32v V8.. I did try with the forums, but sadly no go.. so until i get it on a rolling road the power will never be optimum..
I am still making the body nicer, remaking the front with carbon fibre and sorting out panels that aren't nice.. But it drives so well.

https://youtu.be/bPlqtkR8UnE

Hi Nick

I found this info on the internet a while ago. It's for a 16v Audi engine. I'm planning on using it for my Audi ABZ engine as a starting point (looking to do Megasquirt too). Might be some use...

Good luck
Cheers
James

Attachments

• 16vignitiontiming.jpg
    16vignitiontiming.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,125

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice job on the car Nick - I watched both videos...
It really bothers me that some people are so critical of another man's work. If it pleases you - that's all that truly matters..

Nice job on the car Nick - I watched both videos...
It really bothers me that some people are so critical of another man's work. If it pleases you - that's all that truly matters..

Thank you! For sure i get a load of stick, but also nice comments. to be honest, i just like fiddling with the car, even if it never gets finished it keeps my busy :)
I have a word version of that timing document if that helps, i did use it IIRC, but not too hot with the turbos.

Attachments

• Audi V8 Ignition angle characteristics.zip
    8.3 KB · Views: 348
Hi everyone, I was looking for some help please. I am building a GT40 and a long time ago I saw that a member of this group had built one and also put a photo showing what he had built, so I sent him a message but never got a reply and I do believe he had not been on here for sometime. I am building a Jaguar V12 engine with a Audi gearbox 6 Speed and I need an adapter, flywheel and a clutch kit so I am looking for someone who has made them if possible! Thank u

Back