Ford GT transaxel

X 2 Mike. I remember reading an engineering article on the Ford GT that stated the powertrain weighed over 1000 lbs.

Porky!

My car only weighed 2120 fueled.

Honestly, I regret buying my Ricardo - there's almost nobody who can service it (yes, Stillen sells clutches for them and has done gear swaps, and RPM has done repairs on them, but that doesn't mean anything if parts arn't available), the only guy who knew them like the back of his hand is dead unfortunately (Adrian/DAB), the factory, from what I understand, won't speak to you about the damn thing because of an agreement with Ford, and Ford's idea is to throw away the transaxle if there are any problems with it.

It's nice it can handle a bajillion hp, but if you're unlucky and it grenades, even through no fault of your own, well, you're SOL.

I know most people on here are on a love-fest with the Ricardo, but flat out, show me where the replacement parts (e.g., 2nd gear syncros, as mentioned in the post) can be found (hint - they can't, from what I can see). Wish I'd used a 930 transaxle instead, oh well, too late now!

I have been in the motor repair trade for 35 years, in these cases generally a gearbox company (repairer) will seize the opportunity and start manufacturing parts.
You the owner of said trans will pay the premium because of low volume but that’s life, it’s still better than no parts.

Jim

Hmmmm - weight is an issue but ability to handle torque is another to consider.....

Yes, heavy cars load the axle much more than a lighter car.

IE, light cars can get away with less box.

That is why a Peterbilt needs such a heavy gear box.

The Ricardo is the Peterbilt of boxes!

Back