Elite Racing Transmissions

Just starting another thread on the subject of ERT's transmissions (since the last thread disappeared).

The TXL300 6 speed sequential, and the TXL250 6 speed sequential transmissions are great gearboxes. Very experienced engineers, significant production facilities, great support - I only have good things to say about them.

By the way, I know of a gentleman running the TXL300 in the UK in a car similar to an Ultima, with a twin turbo Audi V8 that puts out 750NM of torque.

Please feel free to add you experiences and thoughts with these gearboxes. I will try to help out as a current owner of a TXL300.

Last edited:
Troy,
You actually own one? Great!
Couple weeks ago one of them caught my eye. I started the thread, but "someone" nuked it.
I'd like to learn everything about TLX Elite trannys before I get one. How much are you running trough it and in what application, your V10?

Attachments

• TXL 300.jpg
    TXL 300.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 1,322
  • TXL250-6S.jpg
    TXL250-6S.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,125
  • TXL300-6S.jpg
    TXL300-6S.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,032
Last edited:
TXL250 6S/6SE – Trans Axle 6 Speed Sequential

http://www.eliteraci...s/txl250-6s6se/

Specifications:

• 2 sizes available, 12mm width gears or 22mm width gears 1-6
  • 400Nm (300 ft lbs) & 540Nm(400 ft lbs) Maximum Torque Capacity
  • Sequential gear selection, 6 forward plus reverse with pull neutral/reverse lockout
  • Plated LSD is included in price
  • Various output flange options: medium CV (100mm) & large CV (108mm) or bespoke available
  • Input shaft to suit application is included
  • Input can be at rear, via flange if required to give a ‘gears in board’ orientation
  • Orientation can be with input running above or below the outputs
  • Can be specified with an additional output for a 4WD system.
  • Dog engagement via proven dog system
  • Aluminium case construction
Gearbox Options:

• 108mm CV output flanges – Add £80.00
  • Digital gear indicator system – Potentiometer, wiring loom and display box – £340.00
  • Aluminium 20mm adapter plate – From £200.00
  • Donor bell housing modification/adaption service available – please enquire for cost.
  • Hydraulic clutch slave cylinder & release bearing – £118.00
  • Spacer for hydraulic clutch cylinder – From £80.00
http://www.eliteraci...-Ratio-List.pdf

http://www.eliteraci...1/TXL250-6s.pdf

TXL300 6S – Trans Axle 6 Sp Sequential
http://www.eliteracingtransmissions.com/products/txl300-6s/

TXL 300 6S – £7,995.00
Description

A Transaxle, six speed sequential motor sport gear box with various ratio options available: This gearbox is used in high torque, mid engine, rear wheel drive set up applications such as GT40 builds, kit cars, time attack builds etc. Ultra tough construction for rough terrain, gears are REM super finished increasing life and reducing friction. The material used has core strength of approximately 30% greater than most manufactured gears.
Specification:

• 680Nm (500 ft lbs) Maximum Torque Capacity
  • Sequential gear selection, 6 forward plus reverse with pull neutral/reverse lockout
  • Plated LSD is included in price
  • Large CV(108mm) output flanges supplied as standard, or bespoke available at extra cost
  • Drop gears alter the final drive ratio
  • Input shaft to suit application is included
  • Dog engagement via proven dog system
  • Aluminium case construction
Gearbox Options:

• Single stage integral gear driven oil pump & shaft spray bar lubrication system – £750.00
  • Digital gear indicator system – Potentiometer, wiring loom and display box – £340.00
  • Aluminium 20mm adapter plate – From £200.00
  • Donor bell housing modification/adaptation service available – please enquire for cost.
  • Hydraulic clutch slave cylinder & release bearing – £118.00
  • Spacer for hydraulic clutch cylinder – From £80.00
Ratios: http://www.eliteracingtransmissions.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/300-Range-Master-Ratio-list.pdf
Blueprint: http://www.eliteracingtransmissions.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/TXL300.pdf

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
QUESTION John D - Are you offering these for sale, that is, you have more than one? Or are you simply selling one you have?

If you're offering more than one then you need to be a vendor on the forum. If you're just selling a part this thread needs to move to the "Garage Sale" subforum.

Troy, I'll move yours to the Garage area.

Hi Ron, no problems. I'm pretty sure mine is sold now.

I think John was getting some info out there about these gearboxes, over and above the G50 / ZFQ / etc options. I'm almost certain he has no economic gain from the sale of any of ERT's products.

Me? Well I have one, but hope to see it pop up in another build thread real soon :)

Are these based on an OEM trans? I haven't seen this company until today. I am looking at options for my project. I do not want the problems that may come with a used trans, so another NEW option is great to see.

I'm not a vendor, rep nor agent of Elite Racing Transmissions. I don't have any financial interest/gain nor single one for sale. Pictures and specs were copied from the public domain sources.
Simply, I found Elite website and copied information from there. I think their product offers a viable modern engineering alternative and a solution to high torque demand of our cars.

I like the fact, that they offer wide variety of ratios and a detailed blue prints with all dimensions clearly defined.
This, itself, is a very valuable information in design and drivetrain integration.
That is all what I know.
If anyone has additional information or currently is using ERT units, please chime in.
Let us know your likes and dislikes, so we can choose wisely in the future.
Perhaps we can arrange for a group buy, sometimes in the future?

Last edited:
I am not sure if anyone here has taken this into account, and while I have not spoken with Elite Racing yet, there is usually quite a bit of maintenance on a sequentially shifted gearbox, and my first thought here is how available are the replacement parts, and what do they cost?

As this is a UK based company there is likely to be some delay in getting parts to the US, so if anyone decides to go with this option, I would recommend that you also purchase the rebuild kit at the same time.

At $12,500 dollars, this is certainly a very nice sequential option as I have seen other units sell for in excess of $50K for a new unit.

Another thing that should not be forgotten here is that this is a race unit. I do not think that you would want one of these in a street car, or anything not dedicated track only use. They are typically fairly load, whiney, and can be more than just a bit annoying in a street application.

Still with the ratios available as well as the very nice cost structure with a LSD, pretty hard not to take a hard look at this option.

Thanks for sharing it with everyone. I will try to get some more information, so that if there is anyone who would like to go this direction perhaps I can save them the International Phone Call. ;)

Keith,
What a good find! Thank you.
I should have expected they have a presence in US.
Erik,
Getting Lotus parts from UK hasn't been a problem for me. Usually, mailing parts via "ground" is the least expensive and it takes about one week. They even take PayPal.
Yes, the price is pretty attractive, comparing to what other vendors charge for some older technology.
UN1/027, working @ 409 ft-lbs, lives on a borrowed time, even with Holloway upgrade, ($5K).

Last edited:
I might just add that I had the option of helical cut gears instead of straight cut (it's a noise thing).

As for replacement parts, the TXL300' internals are shared with their very popular IL300 In-Line 6 speed sequential. This means that there are always plenty of ratios on the shelf, and since they are all made in house, lead times on special stuff is pretty short.

ERT have always been very open about their pricing with me, offering price lists for every single part in the transmission. Their replacement sets for OEM transmissions are very well priced, like both 5 and 6 speed WRX sets, Evo sets, Mini, etc. They are a lot bigger than you think, with the parent company (Beagle Engineering) producing some very heavy duty components.

They have been around for years, I think I have pictures of their stand at the Donnington kitcar show from like 2004 or such, top quality products. Beagle is indeed the engineering force behind the parts manufacturing. Elite is the compact that markets the transmissions.

Grtz thomas

I have some experience with Beagle Engineering gears in the past and I can tell everyone that they are very high quality gears. I was surprised to see them with this gearbox, I did not know that they made complete gearboxes.

Pretty cool.

Erik

I am not familiar with the TLX, however in the swedish sporstscar championship the Elite gearboxes haev very poor reputation for being unreliable.....I have two fellow racers using these boxes, one with an Aquilia mated to BMW V8 and another in a Lotus Europa fitted to a Nissan V6.
I have been looking for a suitable gearbox for my car for some time- and the advice from fellow racers has always been to not buy a Elite....

Please take this as friendly input related to this topic- for what I know, maybe the new design has been improved.....

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Andre,
what problems were experienced and what was proven to be the cause/effect...

Were Elite good to respond?

More details please...

I know that even Xtrac and Emco have reliabilty issues from time to time and they are well proven designs...everything can break when pushed hard or used incorrectly.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I emailed Elite over the weekend and they responded this morning.

The box in question was the TLX250 and they openly admitted to having had some failures,this is very often the case with a new product which the TLX250 was at the time.
The issues were addressed and remedied to their credit...and they have since sold more than 50 TXL250 boxes without issue.

I am glad to see that Elite is responsive not only to emails but also to their products development and well being

Keith

First class Fran.. I wonder how many people mentally struck this box off as a potential. Their response speaks volumes.

Got to be proactive in the racing game....

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I agree Keith....

I wanted to close the loop and not have this be a one sided opinion, regardless of how friendly it may have been.

Back