UN1013 leak

I am in the process of finishing a Tornado TS40, which I bought recently, I've noticed bright red fluid coming out of the VC boots on the inboard couplings (plural) on the UN1. Not sure what colour the recommended oil for the box is, but guess it is the oil. Can the oil make it way out of the box, via the coupling and into the CV coupling boots? I read somewhere that when coupling the CV joint to the coupling on the g/box to use a sealant,.... as i did not make this joint, I do not know how it was done. Can anyone suggest a course of action, the leak forms a drip in about 3 hours, the drip forms on the outermost fold on the boot, where the boot is clamped to the shaft with a jubilee clip, so it is probably seeping out between the boot and the shaft.

You can just see the shadow of the drip on the attached image.

Should I drain the box decouple the CV joints from the box, clean and seal?

Keith

Attachments

• IMG00856-20130316-2200.jpg
    IMG00856-20130316-2200.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG00854-20130316-2159.jpg
    IMG00854-20130316-2159.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 329
Hi Keith,
it will be transmission oil you're looking at, as the CV joints are full of grease and there is no direct path between the CV joint & the trans oil
Seals for these g/boxes are available on Ebay, as it may have been damaged during assembly. Also check for rust on the seal running surface, especially if the car has been stood for a while during build
Regards,
Andy

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Andy is normally good with his advice, however here I believe he may be wrong! (Sorry Andy)

There are a few different manufacturers of the CV to gearbox spline adaptors.

Some of them have a splined section open at both ends - this in turn is welded to a cone that takes it out to the CV bolt spacing size.

The other is a sealed section of splines (sealed on the CV side with a welded disc) then with the cone shpped bit taking it out to CV size.

The outside of the splined unit seals against the gearbox seal.

As such if you have the open type of adaptors then yes you may have for some gear oil into the CV bellows - I have read that this will do the CV no harm.

Now both types of units are located on the Fenault splined shaft by use of a roll pin. When fitting these the hole that the roll pin goes through should first be filled with silicone sealer as the said gearbox oil may migrate down the spline and leak around the roll pin

Ian

Hi Ian,
I'm happy to be corrected when I'm wrong

Keith,
some better photos of the joint will help establish which design you have, it does however look like you have a Renault to Ford CV adapter fitted and this is what Ina is talking about
Andy

HI guys

I attach more photos, it seems to be coming out the boot and some (less) coming out from the shaft out of the box. The inboard 'adapter' does have a blob of sealant on the shaft, but I don't think it is leaking from there, i will need to check more thoroughly. Sorry for the bad pix last night, is was getting dark and couldn't find either of my 2 inspection lamps,.... think the wife is hiding stuff.

Keith

Attachments

• IMG00871-20130317-1646.jpg
    IMG00871-20130317-1646.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG00872-20130317-1646.jpg
    IMG00872-20130317-1646.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG00873-20130317-1647.jpg
    IMG00873-20130317-1647.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 347
Hi Keith,
I'd split the CV joint off the adapter and see if it's been weeping down the spline. If it has, dry it out and seal it with silicone. Also check it hasn't contaminated the CV grease
Regards,
Andy

Thanks Andy et al,.... out of interest, can the ouput shaft be taken out of the box without having to remove or disassemble the box? My fear is that it is weeping out from the main box/outout shaft (brown) seals as well as via the CV joint and boot. Trans oil is in both boots, give them a squeeze and a wee bit of red/amber oil squirts out.

I'll decouple the joints and see, ta for now.

Keith

Ian, nothing beats experience, eh? Does the seal on the box seal against the shaft part of the adapter coupling? In other words, the coupling fits over (concentrically) the output splined shaft of the box, then the seal mates against the circular edge of the small shaft on the couipling/adapter?

Keith

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Keith

Yes it does. so you get the splined shafts coming out the gearbox box.
The Adaptors slide over the splines and the outside of the adaptor then seals against the seal that remains in the case of the gearbox.

If you are removing the CV adaptor then it is easy to remove and replace the seals. Just make up a piece of pipe the size of the seal and inside diameter same as the splined shaft. and push the seals home - need the "pipe" to ensure the seal goes in square

If you are going this far and the adaptors are not sealed on the oputside of the spline it would be a good idea to do it. Disc of metal siliconed in place will stop the oil moving again.

Ian

There is actually an 'O' ring that goes over the output shaft, on the inner end of the splines, that seals against the CV hub, check them as well.

Howard,
The genuine Renault gearbox seal has 3 lips...2 lips that seal the shafts & 1 that is a dirt extruder that fits against the output hub...check Micks Renault gearbox pdf. & you will see the differance in the seals
Cheers Eddie.

As you know I had a few drops of gearbox oil dripping from the couplings to the gearbox and the CV boot. I dropped both couplings to the gearbox and on the offside there was some g/box oil inside the CV joint, boot and coupling, when i took off the adapter there was a bit of a flood, prob about 250ml, half a pint came out, so if there is a seal on the output shaft of the gearbox, then it needs replaced. Same for the nearside, both leaking fluid to the CV joint down the splines.

The first two pix show the oil in the adapter, 3 & 4 show the flow when the adapter was removed.

I believe eBay has these seals for ~£15. I may also see if I can get the adapters modified to accept a disc (with an interference fit) to seal the pathway?

Has anyone any advice or experience on this? Are there inner seals (on the output shafts) and do they fail often? I welcome any comments.

Want to get this fixed, so I can move on to assembly, rather than disassembly.

Regards

Keith

Attachments

• gearbox leak1.jpg
    gearbox leak1.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 333
  • gearbox leak2.jpg
    gearbox leak2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 347
  • gearbox leak4.jpg
    gearbox leak4.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 339
  • gearbox leak3.jpg
    gearbox leak3.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 342
I've taken the plunge, both CV adapters are off and sent to the machine shop, see the attached (rough) design, going to get a metal disc inserted so I never have to deal with this issue again!

I'll keep you posted.

Keith

Attachments

• IMG00961-20130407-2003.jpg
    IMG00961-20130407-2003.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 316
  • CV-Adapter.pdf
    12 KB · Views: 269
  • CV-Adapter.jpg
    CV-Adapter.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Errrrm, wouldnt it be easier just to put the 'O' rings on the inside of the shafts, if its -13 box, the shafts are even machined for them. When you slide the CV adapters on the shaft, they seal up against the 'O' rings inside and stop the oil coming down the splines.

+1

This is how the UN1 is made. I believe your orings to be missing or damaged. You should start from there.

Also, if I understand your oiloproof concept, then you will have to add sealant to the top and bottom of the rollpin too. In your concept, with no orings or worn ones, the oil will still be allowed to go through the splines and grooves and then reach the hole of the rollpin, thus sealant here.

With 5 usd spent to buy a set of 2 orings you can solve this....and then your concept can be an over imporvment in case of...but not the solution.

Best

Stephane

Back