Making a Cable Gear Shift (UN1)

I'm thinking about making a cable shifter, and I welcome any advice out there, are there any donor cables long enough for the '40, I guess each cable needs to be at least 1.8m (6'). of course there are plenty on ebay, but which are long enough or lend themselves to being extended.

What about the gear stick itself, again do I use a donor shifter or make one,... I think I would prefer to make one; I'm trying to reverse (pun intended) the decline in engineering in the west!

I guess I need a cam arrangement to convert the left-right motion of the lever to a back-forward motion for the other cable, any advice welcome? Keith

Not sure if it helps but a mate of mine is going to use a Toyota MR2 lever. From what I recall the cables aren't long enough but I think they can be made up easily enough if nothing else is available. He doesn't own a PC so cant reply himself. Cheers Kev Farrington

A Rod shifter is the best way to go. Speak to Tornado, Southern GT or Wealden engineering & I'm sure they will all give the same advise, they all can also supply a very good proven product.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Keith

We can supply a rod shift for both right and lefthand drive.

We also have a cable shift for a centre change.

Thanks

Andy

I'm thinking about making a cable shifter, and I welcome any advice out there, are there any donor cables long enough for the '40, I guess each cable needs to be at least 1.8m (6'). of course there are plenty on ebay, but which are long enough or lend themselves to being extended.

What about the gear stick itself, again do I use a donor shifter or make one,... I think I would prefer to make one; I'm trying to reverse (pun intended) the decline in engineering in the west!

I guess I need a cam arrangement to convert the left-right motion of the lever to a back-forward motion for the other cable, any advice welcome? Keith

Keith, I have all the cable and gearshift bits off a GTD in my garage collecting dust, would they be any good to you? If they are email me at [email protected]

Hello If you want eventually to go to rod system shifter ;
these are some samples on old french single seaters using renault gearboxes:

Attachments

• 029rtvm.jpg
    029rtvm.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,414
  • 027io.jpg
    027io.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,516
  • 057aw.jpg
    057aw.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,089
John/Michel,.... thanks/merci. K

You are welcome !
If you need I did recently all 3D drawings of specific parts to built on arod shifter
You can have some PDF files free if you need just ak

This is aview of What I did

Attachments

• assemblage levier vitesse.jpg
    assemblage levier vitesse.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,075

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I recently converted a Porsche 901 transaxle to cable shift, it was fairly easy, allowed the cables to be easily routed and hidden and in my case provides a lot more positive feel.

For a shifter you can use Porsche units, the Toyota MR2 or I used a mid 80's Toyota Tercel, which when I examined it is exactly the same as the Superformance shifter.

Cable can be had off the shelf in standard lengths here in the US at places like McMaster Carr or others will make them up to your length for not much more cost.

Julian

bit late but the '88 and later esprit (known as the stevens esprit) use an un-1 gearbox with a cable shifter

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Rod or cables can both be made to shift very well. Cables are easier to route. Rod you have to build the car around the mechanism. Cables you can route anywhere after the car is built.

I used a Toyota shifter with a small cast iron housing and adapted some custom built cables with custom pieces at the trans. They weren't that expensive about $150 for both cables.

Somewhere I have two lots of GTD cable systems complete to suit a uni. I have gone for zf and g50 with the builds which are rod change so these may be adaptable , might be a be cheap way out. PM me if interested.

Bob

Back