Quaife ZFQ and RBT

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Kelly,
Do you have more details when you say it is not supported? That rumor has come up multiple times on the forum but there wasn't any documentation stating that, always has been "well I heard". The ZFQ is still listed on the Quaife website:
QBE62G - Quaife Engineering

Not trying to criticize, just have seen that rumor debunked by Chris Melia or others in the past (note I remember Chris is not affiliated with the ZFQ anymore)

Kevin

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
Kelly,
Do you have more details when you say it is not supported? That rumor has come up multiple times on the forum but there wasn't any documentation stating that, always has been "well I heard". The ZFQ is still listed on the Quaife website:
QBE62G - Quaife Engineering

Not trying to criticize, just have seen that rumor debunked by Chris Melia or others in the past (note I remember Chris is not affiliated with the ZFQ anymore)

Kevin

Dont own one. Never thought it was sufficiently developed and frankly never lacked confidence in my ZFs or contemporary RBT box to motivate high interest. Power handling and price was always the reason to be and ZFQ delivered neither of the two; relaibility aside.

Dont believe everything you read on the internet. Their website also says they are suited for Pantera and to my knowledge a Pantera configured ZFQ box was never produced. As opposed to taking my or anyone elses word for it, why dont you call the source? Tell them you want to buy one and ask for price and delivery. Similarly, call again, tell them you broke, need a part (use your imagination here) and ask them for a quote for the part. I suppose you could even select the enquiry button at the website and see if they have one for immediate or other delivery at their website price of 8k stirling. -Your results may vary.

...and I dont know Chris Melia.

Best,
K

Last edited:

Glenn M

Supporter
K
FYI ZFQ is in production.

Sean

I bought a ZFQ and can tell you that, in my experience, it is a wonderful gearbox. The ratios are very well thought out, the gear change is sublime (like a hot knife through butter) and it handles approaching 500BHP (in my case) with ease. I have 16,000 miles on my car now - many of those hard track miles, and I only have praise for the gearbox. Incidentally, the car also went through a radar speed trap at 190mph.

I take my hat off to the team who got the gearbox off the ground and into production and produced such a great product. I have no financial axe to grind here and am not connected with Quaife at all.

If I had any advice it would be to listen, as Kevin says, to those who have first hand knowledge and not to those who 'have heard this or that' and then based their opinions on that hearsay.

Hope this helps,

Glenn

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
K FYI ZFQ is in production.....If I had any advice it would be to listen, as Kevin says, to those who have first hand knowledge and not to those who 'have heard this or that' and then based their opinions on that hearsay. Glenn

As far as firsthand knowledge, I did try to buy one and my comments are indicative of my firsthand experience in that regard at that time. It may be a matter of the timing of my experience and now a more matter of listening to those that have current information but would add that with history as a teacher, promise of delivery is not actual delivery. It’s also the case that someone entering the fray now as opposed to when it was originally “introduced” may form a different opinion, particularly if the passing of time has cured these ills and if so....peace.

K ZFQ is in production available end of year.
Will fit Pantera. Power rating 500bhp.

As far as the comment of "will fit Pantera", so will a Ricardo with complete rework and re-fab of the rear frame rails and then some. In respect to ZFQ I did inquire and contrary to what is stated at the website and now, and so the case then, not only did they not have a R&P set to accommodate the Pantera orientation of their box, they had no intentions of further pursuing it at the time. Has that changed or is this merely a case of have heard but don’t have actually have a ZFQ in your Pantera? Anyone out there have one in their PCar?

For me, when it could not be purchased and could not be interchanged between my cars as ZF could….and my purchase automatically enrolled me in their development program, I lost interest.

I have no stake either way in this discussion other than owning cars that use such transaxles. I’ll add that I have a similar level of satisfaction to that mentioned above for ZFQ with properly prepped ZFs and at am somewhat of a loss to understand how to view ZFQ as superior option to the venerable ZF given the ZF’s test of time and production numbers. This is especially true when compared to the contemporary RBT expression of the ZF which can be geared about any way you want. If it has no better power handling ability, no better reliability, and no price advantage, and my experience is no longer current state, I would still contend it is just alternative but not yet a proven one, but of course all are free to form their own views in this regard and I’m sure someone here will try to explain it to me.

-KC signing off.

This subject has been beat'n over the last couple years. Currently Quaife offer a GT40 box on their website but it had been discussed in the past that they would/ did cease production of their box. That brought up concern about spare parts in the future.

Personally when I was in the transaxle market there was only one supplier and that came with it's own set of problems, of which only an 800 mile drive to have a 30 minute conversation, could resolve.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-powertrain-transaxles/35270-zf-rbt-vs-zfq.html

This is just one example of our past conversations.

Rich.

so a quaife may well be a smoother better more modern tranny but, a) its not in production, and b) if you damage it support is difficult

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
....if you damage it support is difficult

No one said that. There's only one I know of that's been damaged and that owner never reported on any efforts to repair it or have it repaired. Again, the factory says they have parts and I at least have heard of no negative support experiences.

As with your other thread on track usage, why not ask Olthoff? He has more ZFQ experience than anyone, and I think sold most of the ones that went into SPFs.

Sean
I personally spoke to Micheal Quaife only a few days ago and you ARE wrong on both points.
I have decided not to write on this website again as their is too much Bull$!)^ posted.
Bye ya all.

Glenn M

Supporter
Sean

Do you bother reading any of the replies?

There have been at least two posts telling you that the ZFQ is in production which you ignore, and then you magic the 'poor support' out of thin air!

One can't help thinking 'what is the point'?

Glenn

Sean

Do you bother reading any of the replies?

There have been at least two posts telling you that the ZFQ is in production which you ignore, and then you magic the 'poor support' out of thin air!

One can't help thinking 'what is the point'?

Glenn

Glenn why be so sensitive, i ad read the thread and the other thread, the impression i got was that the ZFQ was a better tranny but that after the first batch it was out of production and that untill there were 15 or more orders they were not planning ona nother batch.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Glenn why be so sensitive, i ad read the thread and the other thread, the impression i got was that the ZFQ was a better tranny but that after the first batch it was out of production and that untill there were 15 or more orders they were not planning ona nother batch.

Sean--

I don't think Glenn is being over sensitive. As one who frequently puts substantial effort into trying to help others on this forum I too find it very frustrating to craft a carefully worded response only to have it scrambled and fed back to me. Even in your post above you get the quantities wrong. Quaife said "10 or 15"; you turned it into "15 or more".

The accuracy of information on this forum is one of its greatest assets and something that many of us go to some lengths to protect. So I would simply ask you to put the same care and attention into reading and responding to posts that the rest of us put into writing them.

Deal?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I have decided not to write on this website again as their is too much Bull$!)^ posted.
Bye ya all.

Martin -- your posts are too valuable to be shut off by the sloppy habits of a few members. Please don't leave. Otherwise the average IQ just keeps sinking and sinking....

Sean--

I don't think Glenn is being over sensitive. As one who frequently puts substantial effort into trying to help others on this forum I too find it very frustrating to craft a carefully worded response only to have it scrambled and fed back to me. Even in your post above you get the quantities wrong. Quaife said "10 or 15"; you turned it into "15 or more".

The accuracy of information on this forum is one of its greatest assets and something that many of us go to some lengths to protect. So I would simply ask you to put the same care and attention into reading and responding to posts that the rest of us put into writing them.

Deal?

OK so untill there are orders for 10 or more the transmission is not being produced. So for someone who wants to build up 1 car, its not currently an option? Is that correct?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
So for someone who wants to build up 1 car, its not currently an option?

The Quaife quote above is three years old and subsequent posts have told you it's available. Have you asked Quaife? Have you asked Olthoff? Have you looked for a used one? How about you do some research on your own and report some useful information back to us?

Back