G-50/01 question

I hope you guys & gals will welcome me to your forum despite the fact I don't own a GT40. The Porsche owners don't like American engines being used in there German cars.
I'm using some parts used in GT40 builds and I will surely gain knowledge from your builds. I'm building a 1973 Porsche 914 V8 car but it a bit
different than most. I have fitted the complete suspension out of
a 2004 Porsche 911 / 996. Using a 2000 Corvette engine and a G-50/01. To my knowledge this has not
been done before. Recommendations from you will surely help me out.
John St John
0562.jpg

104.jpg

013.jpg

970-1.jpg

Welcome to the forum John, Enjoy!
I just love cut & paste projects. Your 914 is coming along great. Me likes.

John, that's a great project - she's going to be a monster. Keep at it and don't be shy about asking questions here - the members here are some of the smartest and friendliest automotive guru's in the world. As you can probably tell, this group is very comfortable bolting American V8 muscle to a european transaxle in a very light/fast car......so there's lots of expertise here.

You're going to have an amazing track day car there!

Love your build! This has been a car build I would love to do for a long long time. Do keep posting in here. Where are you located? Also...When you finish, let me know how much ;)

Thanks,
Everyone needs a place to bounce ideas around.

My DD is a CL65 AMG and when I posted this project on the Benz site they just didn't seem to get the idea. I guess a car without heaters and cooled seats are not interesting.

I do want to change the G-50s diff ratio to slow down the V8s freeway rpm. Also wondering about a cable shifter for the trans as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Welcome to the forum. As for your G-50 transaxle, there are several ratios for the differential including a 3.1:1 and also different gearsets for the transmission which offer optimal gear ratio spacing and a slightly higher overdrive gear in 5th. You may find the Albins gearsets a tad on the expensive side but they are reputed to be of good quality. As you have the unit accessible you should strongly consider a billet side plate for the differential case as the engine you have will stress this piece to the limit. Also consider a heavier 2nd gear shift fork, also available aftermarket. There are several suppliers such as California Motorsports and I think G-box may have some pieces. Browsing through their on-line catalogs will give you some idea of what's available. I can't advise you on what they are like to deal with so your on your own there.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
John

Speak to Roger Brown at California Motor Sports.
I am currently having 2 G50 boxes modified and set up for inverted use with altered ratios and cable sideshift mods.

They also did my previous G50 which is in my current GT40.
Nice guys to deal with.
Dimi

Howard Jones

Supporter
If you talk to Rodger or anyone else that does quality Porcshe GrBx work ask about LSD's. I have to say that light little cars like ours benefit a great deal from limmited slip systems. I wll go so far as to say REQUIRE them. I really like my Quaife TBD and would recomend it.

That thing is going to be a ROCKET!!! ;o) I think you are going to have to widen those wheel-wells!! Keep posting your progress, Scott

If you talk to Rodger or anyone else that does quality Porcshe GrBx work ask about LSD's. I have to say that light little cars like ours benefit a great deal from limmited slip systems. I wll go so far as to say REQUIRE them. I really like my Quaife TBD and would recomend it.

Ditto that.

My GT40 drove sooooo much better with an LSD installed. It's not just a matter of keeping traction in check, the (on/off throttle) tracking is much improved whether you're going straight down the road or around a bend. Highly recommend a LSD in any light weight car with American V8 muscle installed.

Hi John,

What a splendid idea to fit an ls1 info that frame! It's going to be extremely quick that I Can tell you right now.

I have build a similar driveline for my GD-t70, G50-03 with ls1. Maybe you'll find some info or ideas in general on my build site.

All I Can say is do use proper motor mounts, my standard GM parts sheared clean off after which I upgraded to "energy suspension" items which do keep up with the amounts of torque this lump puts out.

Anyway maybe this is usefull, look in the build section.
https://sites.google.com/site/gdt70spider/

And as anyone will agree, be welcome here with any questions you have. This forum was very helpfull for me during my build.

Regards Thomas

Glenn B.

Lifetime Supporter
I have a 500+ hp small block Chevy attached to a G50/01 w/LSD in my Lola. In an extremely light car, the 3:44 to 1 final drive was too low even with 26" tall rear tires that are 15" wide. First gear was worthless.

I strongly recommend changing the ring and pinion to an Albins 3.10 to 1 (31/10). You will be at no loss for acceleration because you will find it much easier to put the power down. The first three gears are much more usable. An added plus is that the 10 tooth pinion is larger and stronger than the 9 tooth used in the 3:44 to one set-up.

Nothing more fun than 500hp 8" from your skull. Enjoy!

Glenn B.

Lifetime Supporter
Also, if you aren't planning on it: shorten those axles, widen those wheel wells and get some big a__ gumballs on the back! You're gonna need em'.

I want to thank you guys for your support, the advise about my cars building process is fantastic. Working in a dealership (GM) as a tune up and drivability tech concentrates on factory setups nothing outside the box. Everything on this site is "outside the box" !!!!

Thomas R.

I checked out your build, that is one nice peace of machinery !!!!
My guess you enjoy yourself in that beauty !

Last edited:
HI JOHN.DONT WANT TO HIJACK YOUR TREAD.BUT I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME GEARBOX AS YOU HAVE BUT I AM MISSING THE REARCOVER.SO IF SOMEBODY HAS ONE FOR SALE I WOULD BE GLAD TO BUY IT.:laugh:

Back