944 trans

I was wondering if any one had looked into/tried a Porsche 944 trans? They are certainly plentiful & cheap. I wonder if one would be strong enough say for a mild small block Chevy or Ford? The 944 turbo in particular.

The answer is yes...if you don't beat on it. The torque of a V8 is the killer there, and repeated launches from a stop will gut the thing pretty quickly. You'll also start having issues with the 944 halfshafts coming apart with that much power. Guys (including me) that had big power 951's (944T) used to keep extra halfshafts and the tools for them in the back when taking long trips...just in case!

Mike:

There is a thread from several years ago in the archive that may answer this better. If I remember correctly the 944 version trans does not facilitate a pilot bearing on the end of the input shaft. There was a member that had one cut or made.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
The string Dave mentioned is very informative in that the author documented all the changes he needed to make in order to put it all together. It was more challenging that initially thought.

The internals and everything south of the bellhousing are audi 016, same as you find in an Audi 5000 transaxle. The bellhousing and absence of clutch therein are differences which make it challenging to adapt...certainly a lot more challenging than the standard audi 016 which bolts right up to a Kennedy adapter plate.

The LSD from a 944 turbo 016 goes right into the audi version, I can attest personally to that having done it myself a couple times now. The standard audi 016 with the right ratios, LSD and strengthening plate on the rear cover is a decent and inexpensive transaxle for a SBF/SBC.

The 944 trans is a good trans, aside from the gear ratios, it's essentially the same as an 016 Transmission from an Audi. The 944 turbo trans is a bit better as (if I am remembering correctly) it's got larger gears (1-2 IIRC) and larger ring gear and better geared for V8 cars. However overall it's still a failry light duty transmission, as many 944 owners with over 400 hp can damage an 016 relatively easy. Most high horsepower 944 people use the 01E from a Porsche 968

However as stated earlier, the 944 lacks provisions for a slave cylinder, it lacks a pilot bearing race on the end of the input shaft, and has no provisions for a clutch fork.

does anyone know if an alternate ring and pinion is available for an 016 trans? presently running 4:11 in my CAV302, would like something around 3:7- 3:8 plus to make 1st gear more usable, any and all info greatly appreciated, thanks all, Neville in New York.

I think that the AAZ code box had a 3.8 R&P. The gears in the 944 version of the 016 are slightly different than those used in the Audi 5000 016. Some people have swapped them but it is a lot of work.

Attached is a ratio chart for the various versions of the 016...at least the ones fitted to an audi 5000. I believe Ron E came up with the data so he deserves the credit.

Yes, there's a 3.89 for the 016.

I had an AAZ coded 016 in my CAV when I bought it but switched it out for a AFC coded box, which is a much better gear set for a GT40. That, plus LSD and strengthening kit, makes that a pretty nice transaxle for sub 400hp.

Attachments

• Audi Gear Ratios.xls
    73.5 KB · Views: 225
Yep, it was me who posted up the details of converting a 944S2 or Turbo trans to work with the 016 front casing. Search for my posts and photos on how to do it.

If starting from nothing, go with 01E. If your car is built and running with 016 but you bust it (like I did) then you could consider what I did.

Mine is used only for competition events. Has a decent 347. Was 380 RWHP, now 443 RWHP with bigger cam. 944S2 box has lasted some 3 - 4 seasons of competition events. May last longer - who knows? Did standing 1000 m event last weekend in it. 21.18 seconds at 254 km/h. Plenty of video of it on youtube if you want to see how the trans copes with what it gets.

Good luck!

Hi Neville,

I had 20 off 3.22 ratio made and sold them all to members, it is a straight swap no mods and will help with higher torque. I installed one into my 016 ratios are excellent 5 gear at 2250 rpm on the highway is 70mph. all gears are good for V8 use including 1st gear so you end up with a true 5 speed. Havent had any more made but you could contact Albins hear in Oz they are the manufacturer.

Mick

I was very close to doing this mod to my 016 but Fran came up with a good deal 01E so went that way. The abuse Julian's box gets is about as much as anyone could deal out.

Can I take that as a compliment Dave?

One of the other GT40's in our area (Rickadonna on here I think) has fitted his 016 with the 3.22 ratio set Mick mentioned. It is going strong after a few years and he has done a few track sprints with it. He also runs a healthy 347, which shouldn't be too far behind mine in torque at least.

Back