Mid Engine Build

Hello, new to forums.
I am in the early stages of designing and building a Mid Engine single seat car.
Being that I have always driven and worked on BMWs I am planing on using the S52 motor form a M3. I have spent the last month researching different trans axle options that other builders have looked into.

Other then a 15,000 trans axle from the Netherlands there is no direct fit option. Thus I believe I will be going with an Audi or Porsche trans axle. I joined the forums here to pick your brains. I have seen people use these trans axles in their builds, and was hoping someone could chime in on where I would go about getting/finding an adapter plate that would allow me to marry a trans axle to this power plant?

Thanks in advance (be patient w/ me as I'm new to the forums lol )

Kennedy Engineered Products (KEP.com)is probably your best bet. I got my Buick V8 to VW addapter kit (adapter, flywheel & clutch)from them & was very impressed for the money (about $600). They've been in the business a long time & can probably make one for just about any set up you want.

Thanks Mike,

I sent an email to Kennedy last week, and am awaiting a reply, will update if/when I hear anything back.

I also sent an email to Eric at Griffen Gearboxes, will see if there is an option there.

You could also try Elite Racing Transmissions in the UK. I purchased one of their TXL300 transaxles (which is now in the US), and found the guys there very helpful. They are, in fact, also helping me out on my new race car.

They use the S54 engines in the Norma hill climb cars in Europe so there must be a readily available transaxle that they use or adaptors to suit, have no knowledge of what box they use I am afraid but may be worth hunting that direction for info/options.

I second Kennedy Eng. They will sometimes make one-off's, if you are not in a hurry. I have a Porsche 930 box for sale, and have been trying to get in my 10 posts so I can list, so will list that soon. Kennedy made me a custom flywheel for a Porsche application year back, and I was very happy with the result.

Back