Need ZF Input Shaft for Clutch Alignment

Would any be interested in renting a ZF input shaft so I can put my clutch back together. My hydraulic throwout bearing started to leak so I need to replace it. Without an alignment tool it's very difficult to get it back together.

Thanks
Alan

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I made one using aluminum - PM me and I will lend it to you, or I can send you the dimensions and you can have one made?

I assume you have the BMW input shaft on your RBT?

Still looking for an Input Shaft needs to have the splines in it since the clutch is a twin disk the one Paul had was a dowel which doesn't line up each disk.

Alan

Alan:
The spline on my ZF is 1 1/8" X 10 Chevy spline is the same...probably easier to find that if yours is the same.
Phil

Alan-
I made mine from a wooden dowel the same diameter as the inside diameter of the disks, with a stepped down end to fit the pilot bearing. I super-glued a 2 inch length of square bar stock to the side of it, and that one "spline" is all you need to align the disks. Not particularly elegant, but it worked fine.
John

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Alan-
I made mine from a wooden dowel the same diameter as the inside diameter of the disks, with a stepped down end to fit the pilot bearing. I super-glued a 2 inch length of square bar stock to the side of it, and that one "spline" is all you need to align the disks. Not particularly elegant, but it worked fine.
John

Agreed - I can't see what difference having a twin disc clutch makes, but what do I know.

On my race car we just wiggled the axle as the trans was pushed into place .....

You can rotate the driveshaft so that it's splines line up with those of the first clutch disc and push it part way through, but the second disc splines will block it from going any further if they're not aligned with the first. At least that's what I encountered on my Sheffield twin disk clutch.

Back