Audi 016 944T LSD

Folks,

I have had for some time a 016 box with upgraded strengthening plate and Porsche 944 LSD inside that I got from the engine supplier for CAV in South Africa in 2005. I have had issues since replacing the rear primary shaft bearing that when engaging any gear I have lock up between input and output shafts. I am not sure if its because of an issue with engagement of two gears at once or what. Perhaps I have lost the intermediate shift shaft detent pins.
I recently bought another 016 and was planning on retrofitting the LSD and the strengthening plate into the other box with that gear-set.

I realized however when doing this that the gears used in my original seem to be all larger, i.e they used the entire porsche gearset. Needless to say the ring and pinion are substantially larger than that on the audi with the open differential.

I was thinking that I can just remove the Audi ring from my open diff. and retrofit onto the LSD. Or should I switch out pinions, if at all possible.

Excuse the ignorance but any advice in this endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Steve

I am pretty sure that you cannot swap the ring gear without changing to pinion gear too. If someone has installed the 944 R&P and not just the differential they probably made changes to the case that will prevent you from going back to the original 016 gears. You are not far from Scott at Advanced Automotion so I would check with him.

Ring and pinion gears are matched at manufacture so mixing and matching is a huge no-no. Also swapping ring and pinions you will have to measure preloads and backlash lest you burn up the R&P or chip teeth.

Back