Rover V8 engine/Citroen box

Hi guys

I have found this powertrain not far away from my home, a Rover 3.8 V8 attached to a Citroen box, I know about the Rover engines, but I have never heard from it being attached to a Citroen box. Does anyone know which Citroen box it is and if it is any good?

He is asking 1500€, the V8 has an Offenhauser manifold with Holley carb.

Thanks, Axel

Attachments

• $_74.JPG
    $_74.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 855
  • $_20.JPG
    $_20.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 695
It's the gearbox used in the SM Citroen and Maserati merak, fitted to Maserati V6 engines (170-190hp), and also in Lotus Esprit 4cyl, I was told.

The V8 + gearbox combo surely worth the 1.500 €, if in running order... You could resale easily the gearbox that price to SM enthusiasts, if you want use another gearbox...

Ok, thanks Pierre-Louis, I thought it might come from an old Citroen, but I have never thought it will be such a classic, I think I will go for that package! :)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Alex

With respect to the Rover - solid enough engines but not very powerul in standard trip - 130 - 150hp

I have one in my GT40 that someone spent £10k on and it gives 250hp at 6700 rpm but to do this it is now far from standard

If you want power there are a lot cheaper routes to go to get reliable power

Ian

Ok, makes me think again. The box has been identified as an old Citroen C35 gearbox, used in a Lotus before being plugged at a Rover V8. I thought it offers me some interesting options for my very special build, i.e. go with the Rover V8 first, and start looking for Lotus engines or even a Maserati V6 which should fit at a C35 transaxle. I am not focussed on a V8, the Dino (which I am building) had a V6 originally...thanks for your input Ian!

Just remember that the Renault UN1 gearboxes are said to be far stronger than those weaker C35 (but the citroen is said to shift better). The UN1 is still inexpensive, and it could be a better starting point whatever engine you're gonna put in your car.

That transaxle is crap. See what it came in originally. Yes, fitted to maser meraks and lotus esprit up to '88. The lotus's 200hp is more than it can handle.

The Rover engine is a good low/mid hp V8. The transaxle is fit for a lawn mower.

Attachments

• Citroen_C35_1980.jpg
    Citroen_C35_1980.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 439
Hahaha...nice truck, was the C35 gearbox really in that ugly thing?? How comes Maserati and Lotus were using it?
I also have heard it often has a circlip issue which destroys the inner shaft...
UN1 surely is the better choice, but becomes rare and pricy here in germany!

I have a Porsche 914 box lying here with a Ford V6 adapter, may be I go with the Porsche and buy Cosworth BOA V6, but over 200hp and the torque is a lot for the little Porsche box I guess...

You guys make me rethink my plans...

Last edited:
The gearbox/transaxle was first used in the Citroën SM:

Thereafter in C35, Merak (and Quattroporte 2), Esprit etc.

Last edited:
Back