Recommend a cable shifter?

Can anyone recommend a good cable shifter for a V8 conversion project (SBF and audi 016)?

The shifter mechanism in my old CAV mono was excellent....not sure if it was custom or adapted from some other off the shelf shifter.

Any recommendations here are appreciated.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Cliff

One of the best shifter mechanisms around is in Toyota, Tercel, Celica, Camry. from your local wrecking yard and not expensive.

There are 2 versions.
One is a pressed steel unit and the other one is a cast steel unit.
Make sure you get the cast steel unit.
They are a really solid unit and very small to fit in narrow transmission tunnels and consoles. (70mm wide).
Make sure to get the mounting cage as well which can be very easily modified to suit your needs.

I have already used 2 of these in our GT40's and am very happy with them.

Dimi.

Or try to find an older Porsche Boxster shifter, I have been told Porsche Boxster gearbox and Audi 016 box are pretty much the same, so it should fit 1:1

Cableshift.com
I have used them a few times. Work well and nicely made....comes with cables and 016 trans cable mounts and fittings.....to easy

Cliff,

Dito Dimi : this is the cast version, from a Toyota Corolla 87 or 89 , I installed on my scratchbuilt GT40 ; easy to integrate and working nicely ...

Attachments

• gt40 037 shifter.jpg
    gt40 037 shifter.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,692
  • gt40 073 shifter.jpg
    gt40 073 shifter.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,139
Rene, I like that a lot.
Looks quite strong.
Any idea of the part number for that unit ?
Andrew

Cliff,

Dito Dimi : this is the cast version, from a Toyota Corolla 87 or 89 , I installed on my scratchbuilt GT40 ; easy to integrate and working nicely ...

Thank you gents, really appreciate the suggestions here. Looks like there's a range of really good options.

I'll give the toyota shifter route a whirl first as it looks simple and inexpensive (who doesn't like that??) then check some of the other options if I can't figure something out. Again, thanks.

Andrew,

I got my shifter from a junkyard ...

But during my investigations, I had from a Toyota dealer, the part number information :
# 33575 (or # 32050 ...) for the 1990 cast version in a Corolla.

From recall, they told me that Toyota went to a plastic version the year after...

René

Rene, spent a good chunk of today trying to find that part, but without luck.
Have found some similar options.
Did you make the bracket the cast bit sits on ?
Did your unit have reverse lock out ?

Andrew

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I have a couple of the Toyota Tercel cast shifters kicking around, complete with frames and cable ends. I went to the local Pick n Pull to get one and they had 3-4 Toyotas with easy access so I got them all.

I also have a complete assembly from a Superformance and can confirm the actual shifter is the same part. It has a custom housing, alcantara console and complete with cables.

All for sale if anyone is interested.

Julian

Andrew ,

The junkyard solution is obviously the easier way to go ....

To your 2 questions :

*Yes I made the support braket ; easy to make with 10 mm thick aluminum.
Anyway , from a junkyard , you should get the pressed steel support console which goes with the shifter itself ...

*No, I did not installed yet a reverse lock-out , but I plan to do it; no problem for the time being on track test with the G50 box, as the 1-2 gears line is very seldom selected ...

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Wish i was closer Julian.
Gonna have to hit the scrap yards here !
Andrew

Andrew,

If you have any challenges finding one, I can probably get one to you for not a lot more than your gas (petrol) to the scrap yard! We mail stuff back to family all the time.

Julian

What cable are you guys using for the toyota and audi shifters? I was looking at using a boxster shifter (should be similar to the audi) or the toyota ones. I found the right rod ends but the standard M6 x 1.0m cables appear to have too long of a mid throw length. 21 cm seems long.

This is where I was looking:Midwest control

Scott,

I used those 6x1.0 Midwest Control cables with the Toyota shifter and got good results ....

They are fairly stiff and strong ( Industrial parts ...) and the 21 cm throw lenght is an advantage for less angular flexion during the stroke operation .....

Note : I kept the 6x1.0 size on shifter side, and welded 8 mm rod ends on the box side ...

Back