Spacing issue...transaxle install

I have my transaxle about ready to bolt up to the adapter plate and in turn the engine but am concerned about the spacing of the spigot bearing in that I think it could work its way far enough toward the transaxle as to float free on the spigot.

From the way I see it, the maximum distance the bearing can travel out toward the transaxle is about 8.2mm of inset plus 21mm of machined area plus 3mm or so where the spigot is chamfered just inward of where it is machined (the 21mm part) and the bearing rides. So, about 32.2mm of total possible travel.

Now, the spigot bearing housing when it is just barely installed (resting at the very edge at the flywheel) protrudes about 26mm past the plate. To me, that means I have 32.2 - 26 = 5.8mm or so to worry about.

I'm waiting to hear back from the maker of my adapter and related components as to what his thoughts are but he told me he would be away for a while before I emailed about this in part of the world where communication is sparse at best so I'm bouncing it off of the forum.

Would you not worry about it, have a longer spigot bearing be machined and shipped from the UK to the US (waiting a long time for that) or perhaps place a small 8mm or so thick spacer (perhaps a bearing too) on the inside of the spigot to prevent the spigot bearing from ever wondering out onto the spigot itself?

The photo shows most of what I am talking about.

Attachments

• AudiSpacing.jpg
    AudiSpacing.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Who's kit is it? as that might help. I can measure my flywheel when I get home as the spigot bearing carried by the flywheel, so may be different to yours. I know there are a few drawings on this site of spigot bearing adapters with measurements so that might help.

Who's kit is it? as that might help. I can measure my flywheel when I get home as the spigot bearing carried by the flywheel, so may be different to yours. I know there are a few drawings on this site of spigot bearing adapters with measurements so that might help.

Thanks Dave.

It's GTRacing over in the UK.

As Dave mentioned a spigot brg that is carried/retained by the flywheel is the only option in this situation, your idea of placing a spacer on the trans input shaft- while it might prevent the bearing from falling out of the crankshaft will not deter movement of the brg/carrier from taking place.

As Dave mentioned a spigot brg that is carried/retained by the flywheel is the only option in this situation, your idea of placing a spacer on the trans input shaft- while it might prevent the bearing from falling out of the crankshaft will not deter movement of the brg/carrier from taking place.

Thanks for the input!

Both the bearing and the carrier should be an interference fit. The carrier should be tight enough in the flywheel/crankshaft so as to need a decent slide hammer/puller to get it out, the same applies to the spigot bearing. If you think the bearing is a little shy of the gearbox input shaft just have a new carrier spun up at a local engineering shop, perhaps a good opportunity for a mod in the way of a step so the bearing has a positive stop to seat against on the engine side.

Bob

Heard back from the builder. The wrong part (shorter one) was sent. It should be a longer one for this setup and he will get that out to me.

Just wanted to update the group in case anyone else runs into something like this.

Back