Clutch Problems

Gentlemen, your help would be truly appreciated!
I have a factory built CAV running a crate Ford Motorsport 348 engine with a ZFQ transaxle. The clutch action has always been a problem taking huge pressure on the pedal, mainly I think since the angle of the slave cylinder actuation is compromised by the chassis. The gearbox and clutch is now all disassembled and I need to do a few things to remedy the situation, so your input please:-

• The clutch plates are worn (after ~1500 miles) and need replacing - suggestions on a clutch for road use (not competition), please
  • I am thinking of converting to an "internal" slave cylinder, located within the bell housing and acting directly onto the release bearing. Does anybody have experience with such a set up?
  • Anybody any comments to add on the normal setup and how I might modify the chassis to get a better angle for the existing slave cylinder actuation?
Thank you in advance for any help. Mike Sundler

Mike Pass

Supporter
Check with Mick Sollis at Southern GT. He has done done lots of these. I have tried his set up in a couple of cars and the action is not too heavy and no slip with well over 400hp.
Cheers
Mike

It may be worth speaking to Joules on here, he sold me a hydraulic bearing with fitting kit for a zf trans. If you are running a multiplate clutch AP would be the best place for advice, there are options on linings and may well be a more road friendly version. TVR run twinplate clutches from AP.

Bob
jpg.gif
attachment.jpg (3.5 KB)

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 412

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
I've had good luck & long experience with a Tilton concentric T/O bearing (hyd). Mostly due to the clutch pack, the only complaint I would mention is a very very short throw, no modulation.

Tim

Back