G50/20 gearset interchangablity?

G20/50 Gear Swap Question <hr style="color:#000000; background-color:#000000" size="1"> Correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that 5th and 6th gears are "interchangeable".

Would it be possible to put the 6th gear cog in the place of the 5th gear cog?

This would make it possible to get an extra tall 6th gear in there.

I have found a practical use for video games..lol. I put the gear ratios of G50/20 trans-axle and test drove it on a couple of cars with almost the same identical tire sizes, power and weight of the SLC (Mosler, & Joss JP-1 with around 500-550hp). I learned right away that 1st is pretty much useless. However, I did discover something

If you take a G50/20 and replace 1st gear with around a 3.00 ratio, and 6th gear with around .55, you get a close to favorable ratio.

- You get to about 50-55 mph in first (6,800 redline)

- 1400rpm (maybe lower) at 60mph

- There is a bit more of a drop from 4-5, than the rest of the gears, but it's not too bad, and if by chance you are at redline in 4th (hope you are on a race track, because you are doing around 140m.p.h) the rpm will drop to about 4800-5000rpm after you shift (IIRC).

Not saying this is OPTIMAL,, but it would allow you to save some cash,, as you would only need to change out 2 gears.

If you found a taller 4th somewhere (G50/03?), it would make it almost perfect in gear ratios. As the rpm drops from gear to gear would be almost the same

I had the same issues when I first registered my car.
I sourced a 3.1 crownwheel and pinion from Albins gears and it transformed the car. 1st is a real 1st and not a stump puller and it works well through all the gears though to 5th.
Single best thing I have done to the car.

Darrell DRB LS1/G50

I have that 3.1 Albins CWP, not driven the car yet though. I know of another 3.1 set for sale in the UK. New never fitted for a 996Turbo or any GT3/2 gearbox.. email me and Ill redirect you to my friend..... [email protected]

Back