G96 an Option?

Hi all,
First of all apologies for not being a GT40 project at all, but you guys know the most about transaxles from what I've found!

I am trying to find solid information about whether a G96.01 would be suitable for use. Engine is a 2.7 biturbo V6 (audi), target ~400whp

However the downside is I'm poor; so a £3500 transmission is waay out of budget, whereas a G96.01 can be had for £1400. I have the audi 01E box bolted to it now, but with the driveshafts just off the chassis, I still have 4-5" of space between the bottom of the sump and the chassis, which is a bit rubbish on such a hefty engine!

To get some proper final answers:
1. What are the torque limitations of the 'box in standard form?

2. Are the LSD choices the same as for more common 'boxes (G50s), or were any available as stock? Only on the GT2/3 'boxes I believe?

3. Any mods needed for inversion other than swapping intake and vent?

4. Ratios, don't seem as bad as I've heard? 7k redline = 190mph, 70mph = ~2400rpm with 315/35/18

The research I have done so far on the G96 box shows them to be quite delicate. I actually have a 2000 911 Porsche and I missed a second-gear shift and now second gear needs to be replaced. The carrier bearing was already howling at about 65,000 miles. The 911 (996) Turbos had 420 HP in 2000 and Porsche used a completely different transmission for those.

The shifting mechanism is completely different, so you will need to re-engineer the shifter. I would fabricate whatever I could to make the Audi box work.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
We have used dozens behind ls3's with no issue, so my experience differs from fe's
We are also using them in the new Aero.
The shift system is the same as the gt2/3 transaxle

Gosh, I must be confused. I own cars with both 016 and non-turbo, non-GT2/GT3 G96 transmissions and the shift systems are completely different - the G96 uses two arms and the 016 uses a push/turn shaft.

Also, the G96 six-speeds are getting more and more expensive as they break on the highways. Starting at about $3,000.00 on eBay for a used one :shocked: .

Are we all talking about the same thing?

Hm, yeah I expected it was weaker, and that doesn't sound very good already, if its relatively weak behind the stock motor!

As for the current gearbox, I've done nothing with it really. A shift mech was roughly designed but thats it. Geometry of the Audi box is a compromise that I'm not OK with, it's a heavy engine in an already tall (compared to you guys') car.

A bit more promising but I think I'll save for a G50, they're not as expensive as I thought, around £1200+ for the non-lsd ones, or £1800+ for the LSD'd ones.
Any opinions there? I quite like the sound of a Wavetrac

I decided against torsen style LSD because of torque bias under decel and braking (though I think I read wavetrac supposed to have trailing throttle bias but not sure what it is). I ended up going with plate style OS giken. To give you a comparison I got a New G96 for $4500 and the LSD for $1700 (installed). If you track the car (and have a tendency to run over apron) I think a plate LSD is preferred. Torsen LSD have better wear and are quiter.

Heres why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyjjJSIjKqg

Last edited:
Back