Torque Converter/Electronic Automatic Transaxle?

Has anyone found a fully automatic gearbox that could be used in a mid-engine RWD setup? I'm handy with electronics, so ideally it would have electronic control actuators.

I'd love to create a mid-engine semi-automatic gearbox with paddle (or otherwise sequential) shifters and no clutch.

I sent a 5HP19 2 wheel drive transmission and a standalone computer but have not heard anything from the group that was doing the project.

Last edited:
I sent a 5HP19 2 wheel drive transmission and a standalone computer but have not heard anything from the group that was doing the project.

Yeah, the 5HP19 is the only transaxle that I can find that fits this description. I think I can wire up a micro controller to do custom gear control with the built in solenoids. The only thing I am concerned about is the power ratings.

Do you know how much power the 5HP19 is rated for?

Yeah, the 5HP19 is the only transaxle that I can find that fits this description. I think I can wire up a micro controller to do custom gear control with the built in solenoids. The only thing I am concerned about is the power ratings.

Do you know how much power the 5HP19 is rated for?

From the factor it's about 350 ft/lbs. However modified they can handle upwards of 500 ft/lbs.

Scott I'm going to assume that was a joke or you are just a tool but either way THIS site is all about component cars and as such there are MULTIPLE THREADS (not to mention all the dedicated trans axel threads in here) about this. In case you are not a tool and honestly didn't know than let me be the first to make you aware that flipping a Porsche box to use in component cars is now pretty much industry standard. So um how about stop wasting our time and use the search button because it really is a wonderful thing added to this site. If you were serious than you shouldn't have advancedautomotion under your name because you sir don't seem to know the basics let alone be thankful to someone who took the time to try to help you out ( and posted links to acquire the very electronics you are trying to create without having knowledge of it existing already) without snippy comments. Your question has been answered so now do with the info as you please but at least try to have a little more respect.

Last edited:
Scott I'm going to assume that was a joke or you are just a tool but either way THIS site is all about component cars and as such there are MULTIPLE THREADS (not to mention all the dedicated trans axel threads in here) about this. In case you are not a tool and honestly didn't know than let me be the first to make you aware that flipping a Porsche box to use in component cars is now pretty much industry standard. So um how about stop wasting our time and use the search button because it really is a wonderful thing added to this site. If you were serious than you shouldn't have advancedautomotion under your name because you sir don't seem to know the basics let alone be thankful to someone who took the time to try to help you out ( and posted links to acquire the very electronics you are trying to create without having knowledge of it existing already) without snippy comments. Your question has been answered so now do with the info as you please but at least try to have a little more respect.

Woah, just relax. I think he was just yanking your chain.

From the factor it's about 350 ft/lbs. However modified they can handle upwards of 500 ft/lbs.

Any idea what is required to make these upgrades? I'm curious what the primary failure point is.

Might also consider going with a manual gearbox with an autoclutch and paddle shifters.

This is another option, although the torque converter seems easier at this point. Do you have any reference material you can forward my way? I would like to learn more about what it would take to convert a manual gearbox to a semi-auto with an autoclutch like you mentioned.

Everyone knows that you can flip the manual Porsche boxes but you cannot flip the automatics and I think that is what Scott was talking about. The OP wanted an automatic gearbox.

Just FYI but PCS has a controller for the ZF 5Hp and a harness. Its the TCM2000, so not sure if its direct plug and play or if you need to do a bit of programming.

Dave

The zf 5hp24a is one transaxle that can handle serious power and will run a flappy paddle gearchange. Its used on all the big 4ltr plus V8 and W12audi`s . I am not sure of the implications of running one of these without the 4wd connected.

search
audi trans.jpg

Bob

Attachments

• audi trans.jpg
    audi trans.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 593

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Everyone knows that you can flip the manual Porsche boxes but you cannot flip the automatics and I think that is what Scott was talking about. The OP wanted an automatic gearbox.

May not need to flip it....

It's been a lot of years now since I've had a role in the process, but there are (were) boats that used Tandem GM and Ford engines. One of the two engines needed to be counter-rotating. This necessitated a special camshaft and distributor gears to not only accomodate the reverse rotation firing order, but to get the oil pump and distributor to turn in the proper rotation. Also requires a starter with bendix that would work in the opposite direction. Additionally - if an engine mounted water pump was used, you either need a counter rotating pump or a serpentine belt system that would reverse the rotation.
The engine I worked on was a Ford 427. It worked rather well but had a rather troublesome rear main seal that was constantly weeping. We neglected to have the crankshaft sealing surface machined to remove the angular oil control flutes which would constantly wipe the rope seal to bring the migrating oil back to the pan. Instead, they would help promote the migration of oil... :furious:
We would have found this on the dyno, but could not rig the dyno to spin in the opposite direction. So it was not found until it was installed in the bowels of the boat..

Just FYI but PCS has a controller for the ZF 5Hp and a harness. Its the TCM2000, so not sure if its direct plug and play or if you need to do a bit of programming.

Thanks for the tip! They even offer a harness directly for the 5HP19. I guess I'm not the first one to do this ;).

The zf 5hp24a is one transaxle that can handle serious power and will run a flappy paddle gearchange. Its used on all the big 4ltr plus V8 and W12audi`s . I am not sure of the implications of running one of these without the 4wd connected.

Yeah, it looks like it was AWD only. Has anyone run these before with a disconnected tailshaft? Is there an LSD inside between the front and rear outputs, is it directly linked, or is it completely open?

May not need to flip it....

It's been a lot of years now since I've had a role in the process, but there are (were) boats that used Tandem GM and Ford engines. One of the two engines needed to be counter-rotating. This necessitated a special camshaft and distributor gears to not only accomodate the reverse rotation firing order, but to get the oil pump and distributor to turn in the proper rotation. Also requires a starter with bendix that would work in the opposite direction. Additionally - if an engine mounted water pump was used, you either need a counter rotating pump or a serpentine belt system that would reverse the rotation.
The engine I worked on was a Ford 427. It worked rather well but had a rather troublesome rear main seal that was constantly weeping. We neglected to have the crankshaft sealing surface machined to remove the angular oil control flutes which would constantly wipe the rope seal to bring the migrating oil back to the pan. Instead, they would help promote the migration of oil... :furious:
We would have found this on the dyno, but could not rig the dyno to spin in the opposite direction. So it was not found until it was installed in the bowels of the boat..

I don't think the internals of an automatic transmission will work right if rotated backwards.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Correct! I really need to have more coffee in the morning before trying to engage my brain!

What difference would it be to the electronics if they were upside down or not? That entire argument is rubbish. So long as the actuators are placed properly it doesn't matter if they are placed while standing on it's head.

As for the 4 wheel drive isue why not ask any one of the numerous SL-C owners with Gaziano's (something about trimming block to clear out shaft but don't quote me on it. It's been discussed here before)in them as they seem to have that pretty much buttoned up at this point.

Back