Stroker kits ..

Hi Guys I am looking at getting a 347 stroker kit . I have looked at Summits kits .... Also Skipwhites kit ... which I am very interested . Just thought I would ask you guys who you have used please ,,,

Thanks John...

Hello John,

I had a good experience with FORDSTROCKERS ( Jim Wood - SBFTECH animator) for a 302/331 short block to install in my scratchbuilt GT40, 2 years ago.

From the short block , I finalized the engine with Summit parts ; Edel RPM Performer heads etc ....

Specific internal balance made on my request, fair price, delivery on time from Illinois to France and good communication during the order process.

As you will see on their site, they have of course the 347 short block version ...

Good luck for your project...

Attachments

• gt40 133 engine-box.jpg
    gt40 133 engine-box.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 279
  • gt40 167engine.jpg
    gt40 167engine.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 275
Ive being toying with this for a while now and sort of came to the conclusion (at the moment) to stay with stock stroke. I always fancied the 347 (much easier to come by at a good price than the 331) but read on here and other sites that its characteristics don't suite the 40 so much which being a light car suits a more square bore higher reving engine.

I don't know, I find it all confusing :) any of our engine experts got an opinion? I have a 89 roller block all prepped but haven't got anything in it yet

My advice would be to select the transmission first and then decide the engine build. Strokers are a wonderful thing if you can get the gearing right but if you need lots of revs keep away from them. the money may be better spent getting it to breathe and rev. Just my humble and worthless opinion. :thumbsup:

Bob

Thanks Bob ... I might go for good heads .... nice cam ... and rollers ,could get 330 HP ... 300 torque ... sounds good . Spoke to Real steal and they build a 330 hp
Might follow his advice ,,,,

John.

Mike Pass

Supporter
It depends on what you want the engine to do and how much you want to pay. If you want a race motor that's one thing but if you are mainly running on the road with occasional track use then that is another. I currently have a 302 with Edelbrock RPM top end which did 335hp and 340 torque on the rolling road. I am building up a 347ci with internal balance as this makes for a sweeter engine and also gives the centre main a much easier life. I have some "Chinese" heads but fitted with Manley valves, springs, guide plates etc. They are quite a bit cheaper than the Edelbrocks and are very "similar" to the Dart Pro One heads. A 347 stroker with Eagle internal balance kit, main girdle, and Edelbrock RPM heads, air gap manifold, 650 cfm double pumper Holley, road cam, gave 420hp and 430 torque. A GT40 with this engine was pretty quick too and road driving friendly. Get your block checked and machined up true by someone who has experience of these things. Get your engine run in and set up on the dyno before you fit it. Make sure your fuel system has the capacity to feed a 347 as a slight blockage on a barely adequate system can have the engine run lean with bad results.
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike and thanks for the info.. I will only use it on the road so the numbers that I got from Real Steal are good for me . and not for silly money they recommend Edelbrocks E heads which is what they use on there 330 HP motor..

John.

Mike Pass

Supporter
If you buy your motor from Real Steel check out the Gold Card scheme. You pay £40 in the first year and £25 a year thereafter and this gets you a 10 percent discount. This could save a few ££.
Cheers
Mike

You need also to be careful when selecting your engine parts that you dont get palmed off with bits for drag racing. So much of the mericun aftermarket engine tuning gear ( Chinese) is aimed at this which is totally unsuitable for a 40. Its also a bit suspect on longevity as its really only designed for full throttle for a few seconds. On a 302 my money would go on an internally balanced forged crank with decent rods and a set of 10.5 ish forged pistons. A pair of mildly worked gt40p heads a 300ish duration mechanical roller cam with associated springs and roller rockers, ARP hardware throughout , spend the rest on webers and manifold or Injection stacks . We have an engine spec like this in a car and it has no trouble reeling in the strokers on track days.

Bob

Back